Whine directly related to engine speed.

AmericanBadlander

Question

So it's been raining since yesterday. I have never heard this noise. But I started my truck up and immediately got a whine and it goes up and down with engine rpm. It didn't go away after truck got warm either. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 answers to this question

If it's coming through the speakers, that's alternate whine - the radio can pick up interference due to bad grounding or a ground loop.

If not thru the speakers, could be a bad idler pulley bearing, water pump, or any of the other belt driven accessories. Rain sometimes makes bad bearings sing ..

It's more annoying than anything - won't cause any harm.

Turn the radio off and if it goes away you found where it is coming from. If it is still there you can take a spray bottle and spray a mist on the belt while the engine is running. If the whine goes away or change noise its the belt. If that doesn't work take the belt off and run the engine. If noise goes away it could be alt., p/s,idler pulley, A/C pulley. If the noise is still there when you take the belt off then you are going to have to dig deeper into the engine.

Turning the radio off is not an option. The radio is used for all the chimes, so even when off, the amplifier portion is still on and noise will likely be heard. Is the noise volume adjustable? For example, turn radio volume up, whine gets louder?

Hearing alternator noise through the radio all of a sudden is usually a forerunner to something going bad. Have you made any changes to the truck recently? Changes like spark plugs, wires, stereo work, etc.

The easy way to rule out the alternator is to remove the belt, and run the truck. See if the sound is gone.

You will want to verify all battery cable connections, as well as all fuses. Check ground cable from chassis to engine, as well as chassis to battery, and also hood to chassis ground. Is noise there when playing CD? How about AM radio?

Archived