Wheels/Tires

Cody1774

It was more of a generic discussion starter but for me specifically:

80% of truck use will be logging/construction roads on the edge of the Canadian Rockies. So, lots of snow/ice in the winter on steep terrain. Lots of dirt/mud in the spring and summer.

20% use for family on Alberta highways.

The stock wheels are 20's, which I don't know is the most practical for me. I am leaning towards a 4" lift on the truck, so nothing too over the top.

There's a Denali on youtube that I saw when I was shopping for a truck and in my opinion it is perfection:

I love the lift, wheels, tires, everything about this truck

I drive the same conditions you do. I run all terrain tires. Tried mud tires once and won't buy them again. They sucked in the winter and weren't that great on slimy lease roads either.

I tried Michelin LTX AT and they were too hard. Brutal in winter as well.

I have run Nitto terra grapplers too. They plug up quick in mud and wear out fast on a 3/4 ton.

The best tires I have found for around here are either BFG AT's or Goodyear Durotracs. They wear a little quicker than some so you have to make sure you rotate them, but they wear faster because they are softer and that is what makes them better in the winter. If I get 60,000 km out of a set of tires I am happy.

Both have good traction in snow an ice and work decent in mud. For an all around tire they both work great in my opinion.

I haven't tried them but there are some Cooper all terrains that look like they would be good too.

I would also give General Grabber AT2's a look. Almost same tread pattern (they improved the throw-out and overall gripping) of the BFG's - and alot cheaper. Don't be hesitant, I've had two sets, they are built to last.

I have the 305/50/20 on my 1500 with a 3" level.

Truck1_zps7d93ff14.jpg

It's been said, avoid a mud tire at all costs. They are good for one thing and one thing only, dedicated mud use.

For what your doing, I suggest Goodyear Duratracs and 18 inch wheels. This will give you more sidewall to work with.

It was more of a generic discussion starter but for me specifically:

80% of truck use will be logging/construction roads on the edge of the Canadian Rockies. So, lots of snow/ice in the winter on steep terrain. Lots of dirt/mud in the spring and summer.

20% use for family on Alberta highways.

The stock wheels are 20's, which I don't know is the most practical for me. I am leaning towards a 4" lift on the truck, so nothing too over the top.

There's a Denali on youtube that I saw when I was shopping for a truck and in my opinion it is perfection:

I love the lift, wheels, tires, everything about this truck

could someone tell me if that is a 4" or 6" lift??

Archived