Help with Trailering Specs

OK, so I am not an expert, but I am not that ignorant either. Here is the dilemma; the tag on my B-Pillar states that my truck can pull 7000 pounds. However, the owners manual and trailering guide supplemental book from GM states up to 9800 pounds. I would like someone out there to help me understand what I can safely tow (1) before my wife picks out more of a camper than the truck can safely tow and (2) I do not want hook to a trailer that is going to put my family in danger.

I have a 2014 Silverado, 5.3L, 2 wheel drive, short box crew cab with locking rear diff.

As per the owners manual, PAGE 338 (Section 9-84) the folloing appears.....

5.3LV8 3.42 4 445 kg (9,800 lb) 6 804 kg (15,000 lb)

As per the supplemental trailering guide page 9, Silverado Conventional Trailer Wieght Ratings, 9800 pounds for the following set up - 5.3L, 2WD, Cew Cab, Short Box 2WD. Which is exactly what I have.

So, between the two manuals stating 9800 pounds but the B-Pillar tag only stating 7000 pounds, I am more than a little confused. I would love for someone to help me with this or point me in the direction to obtain help. If necessary, I can post my RPO codes that confirm the above.

Also, does it not seem strange that a 1/2 ton pick up made today would be rated to tow less than that of a Yukon/Tahoe?

Thanks for the quick response. I left off one important aspect of the truck description. Yes I do have the 3.42 gears. That is why I am confused. I will be more than happy to provide a pic of the RPO codes to verify, but I just spent an hour last weekend decoding the RPO sticker. To confirm...

2014 Silvy, CC, Shortbox, 2WD, 5.3, with 3.42 gears

Just remember that your payload is included in that trailer towing number So remember to subtract the wts of all passengers and cargo you want to haul in the truck from your towing capacity.

Archived