Trip from Tulsa, OK to Jacksonville, NC (MPG Thread)

2014 Silverado MPG – Trip to Jacksonville, NC

Hey guys, just wanted to share my data I collected while on my way to Jacksonville, NC from Tulsa, OK. I know some people talk about their MPG like fisherman talk about their catch, and I’m not sure why they do that,but there is none of that here. (I have pictures of Info Center along with receipts for fuel) So… for those of you that feel like you aren’t getting the mileage you should or for those of you looking for a new truck and a lot of the purchase is based on MPG… here you go.

Vehicle – 2014 Silverado QuadCab LT, 5800miles, 2wd, 5.3 – 6sp Auto, 3.08 rear gear, factory 18” wheels and tires, 2’ lowering schackle in rear, no bed cover and everything else is completely stock.

We had to make a couple stops to family and friends before we got on course but it was mostly highway driving and shouldn’t effect the MPG much at all.

My average wind and temp was based on maybe 3-6 checks of weather.com on my location as I traveled. I had a co-pilot (wife) that took care of this so it was done safely.

My normal driving style is Aggressive but I tamed it way down for this trip so that it would fit most drivers. I averaged 4mph over the speed limit and used the cruise the entire way where permitted. 95% of the trip was I40 which I hit in Fort Smith, AR which most drivers know that is not a real flat stretch of road from Arkansas to East Coast.

In Tulsa we use a Winter Blend of fuel which typically does not get as good as MPG as Summer Blend. I’m not sure how far south you have to go before that is not practiced. When I filled up, I would let it shut off automatically then use 3 partial trigger fills (top offs) at about 10-20% trigger.

Filled up at QT on 2/13/14

87 octane

10% ethanol

First leg of trip

Miles- 460.6

Gallons- 24.502

Actual MPG- 18.798

DLC MPG- 19.2

Fuel type- 87 octane/10% ethanol

Location- Pilot Travel Center in Earle, AR

Time- 5:09 AM Central

Driving style- 99% highway averaged around 75mph on a mix of flat and rolling hills

Direction of travel- E/SE

Average Wind- S/SW 3-5mph

Average Temp- 40*

Second leg of trip

Miles- 448.5

Gallons- 21.208

Actual MPG- 21.148

DLC MPG- 20.7

Fuel type- 87 Octane/10% Ethanon

Location- Weigels-Dandridge, TN

Time- 1:19pm Central

Driving style- 99% highway -74mph using cruise on a mix of 30% flat/30% rolling hills/40% large hills/small mountains

Direction of travel- East

Average Wind- S/SW 6-8mph

Average Temp- 40-45*

Third leg of trip

Miles-423.7

Gallons- 19.231

Actual MPG- 22.032

DLC MPG- 22.6

Fuel type- 87octane/10% ethanol

Location- Speedy Mart, Beaulaville, NC

Time- 8:53pm Central

Driving style- 74mph using cruise, mountains and large hills

Direction of travel- East

Average Wind- S/SW 1-3mph

Average Temp- 45*

As far as comfort goes, i can just say that I am very impressed. I went froma 2004 Escalade EXT and I would find myself rolling around in the seat way before I would have to gas up. I have yet to experience any comfort issues besides just being couped up for 18 hours straight, only stretching during fuel ups. I can't wait to start modding.

Archived