What is/are the best option(s) for me?

Hello everyone,

Fairly new to the forum but have been a longtime browser. I plan on purchasing a new truck at the end of the year and have it narrowed down to the 2014 Silverado/2014 Sierra, 2015 F150 and maybe a Tundra. I keep going back and forth on the Tundra. The Tundra would probably be the third on my list due to the horrible MPG. I know most people will probably say you don't buy a truck for MPG, but I like to think of it as an added bonus. Anyway onto the trucks and the questions I have regarding them.

If I get a 2014 Silverado/Sierra the look I want is exactly the same as the one in the attached photo. I fell in love with the looks of this truck the day I saw it in a YouTube video. I think they are running 33" Toyo's and Method 18's along with a 2.5" level from Rough Country.

First off, let me tell you what I plan to use this truck for. I live in Southern California and will be using this as a daily driver, with a mixture of highway/city driving. I don't go off-roading but may want to buy a dirtbike or atv later on so I would be towing that. I also plan to buy a pair of Waverunners within the next couple of years and would need to be able to tow those. From reading what I plan to use my truck for, will 2WD suffice or should I get a 4WD? Money isn't a problem but any money saved is a plus and will be used for mods such as Toyo Open Country M/T tires, Method wheels and a level/lift kit.

The main features I want in the Silverado/Sierra include: CrewCab Standard Bed SLE or LT Trim, 5.3L V8, Bucket Seats, 8" Screen, Body Colored Door Handles and Mirrors and some type of Trailering Package. I am leaning towards the Sierra SLE because it comes with the color matched door handles and mirrors, whereas the Silverado you have to have the Custom Sport Package. Also, the Sierra SLE comes standard with the 8" screen. So regarding the different trailering package options, which one do you think is best for me? I can get the SLE Value package on the Sierra which comes with the standard trailering package or I can get the Max Trailering Package with the possibility of getting the Preferred Package with it because I kind of like the idea of having the Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Air Conditioning. So should I get the Max Trailering Package or will the standard trailering package that comes with the SLE Value Package be fine for what I want to accomplish?

Those are basically the main questions I have. I do have a couple other questions regarding the Rough Country Levels/Lifts and what those entail in regards to if they are a decent option for the look I want to accomplish for this truck. I know I wrote a lot and it might sound confusing, so I apologize in advance. I'll repost the questions I have below so you don't have to read through all this material over and over again.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Questions

Will 2WD be sufficient for me or should I get 4WD?

SLE Value Package with Standard Trailering Package or Max Trailering Package with the Preferred Package?

post-131221-0-14975700-1402438979_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• I would get the 4wd, you never know if you're going to need it, and resale value is higher

SLE value package with standard trailering. For what you said you'll be towing, you don't need the max tow, and you'll get better MPG with the 3.42 gears rather than the 3.73 Max trailering gears. It'll still be rated at 9600 lbs (max tow is 12000)

• I would get the 4wd, you never know if you're going to need it, and resale value is higher
  • SLE value package with standard trailering. For what you said you'll be towing, you don't need the max tow, and you'll get better MPG with the 3.42 gears rather than the 3.73 Max trailering gears. It'll still be rated at 9600 lbs (max tow is 12000)

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the Max Trailering Gears might be necessary for 33" tires or even 35" if I decide to go that route later on.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the Max Trailering Gears might be necessary for 33" tires or even 35" if I decide to go that route later on.

Good point. I don't have experience with going that big on tires so I can't comment on that.

This is my thought, if you are looking at lifting and towing obviously mpgs aren't a concern; so with that, the Tundra might be the right truck for you. That IForce 5.7 pulls like a horse; plus the Tundra is pretty solid reliability and resale wise. If you are more about looks, then the GMC is probably right since you want color matched trim.

This is my thought, if you are looking at lifting and towing obviously mpgs aren't a concern; so with that, the Tundra might be the right truck for you. That IForce 5.7 pulls like a horse; plus the Tundra is pretty solid reliability and resale wise. If you are more about looks, then the GMC is probably right since you want color matched trim.

Good assessment.

Good point. If I lift a tundra and put on bigger tires I'd probably get 12 MPG or worst. With the Sierra/Silverado I am guessing I could get around 16 MPG or better. Plus I like the size of the standard bed compared to the short bed on the CrewMax.

Good point. If I lift a tundra and put on bigger tires I'd probably get 12 MPG or worst. With the Sierra/Silverado I am guessing I could get around 16 MPG or better. Plus I like the size of the standard bed compared to the short bed on the CrewMax.

You aint going to get 16 with 35's on a GM. For one, you most likely going to be running 3.73 max tow. Im sure someone else will chime in with a lifted 1500, but you're going to feel short in the power dept if running the 5.3 or you'll be getting maybe mid teens with the 6.2, plus you need to rum premium from what i understand. While the Tundra does get worse mileage empty, it doesn't need to work as hard under the conditions you want from your truck. I figure you'll see 13-14 with a lifted Tundra and similar with a GM. Our truck are designed for fuel economy, read all the threads of poor throttle tip in and those who are rushing to get a tune. You don't hear half of those concerns on the Tundra forums.

Previous Tundra owner here. Traded in mine in for my brand spankin new Silverado Dbl cab 5.3l LT z71. First new truck in fact. And I Love it! Loved my Tundra though. Why? Crewmax will flat out beat this new truck 0-60 wise. The 5.7l is strong but eats the fuel. And i like the Auto 4wd on my new one. (Previously had a '03 sierra z71 SBSC and it would go anywhere with that auto 4wd).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You aint going to get 16 with 35's on a GM. For one, you most likely going to be running 3.73 max tow. Im sure someone else will chime in with a lifted 1500, but you're going to feel short in the power dept if running the 5.3 or you'll be getting maybe mid teens with the 6.2, plus you need to rum premium from what i understand. While the Tundra does get worse mileage empty, it doesn't need to work as hard under the conditions you want from your truck. I figure you'll see 13-14 with a lifted Tundra and similar with a GM. Our truck are designed for fuel economy, read all the threads of poor throttle tip in and those who are rushing to get a tune. You don't hear half of those concerns on the Tundra forums.

I stated I would get 33's. If I got 35's I would get a suspension lift. You don't think I could get 16 MPG with 33's on a 2.5-3.5" level or lift? I wouldn't mind getting a tune since it would be cheaper than re-gearing.

Previous Tundra owner here. Traded in mine in for my brand spankin new Silverado Dbl cab 5.3l LT z71. First new truck in fact. And I Love it! Loved my Tundra though. Why? Crewmax will flat out beat this new truck 0-60 wise. The 5.7l is strong but eats the fuel. And i like the Auto 4wd on my new one. (Previously had a '03 sierra z71 SBSC and it would go anywhere with that auto 4wd).

What year Tundra did you have?

08. Not much was done other than the front end and the interior. Mad it a little easier to change the stereo. My 08 was a stretch to put in a address while driving.

From 08 to '14*

I stated I would get 33's. If I got 35's I would get a suspension lift. You don't think I could get 16 MPG with 33's on a 2.5-3.5" level or lift? I wouldn't mind getting a tune since it would be cheaper than re-gearing.

16 hwy with 33's sure...16 city, probably not.

I have the all terrain SLE, saved a little on the price for a crew cab, and it is four wheel drive. Here I drive daily and go to the lakes and back country for hunting so its the best of both worlds, and alot of people ask me if it is a special denali. It was cheaper, I got the lifte level for the front with rear blocks from rough country. I have the same tires on it for now buty odly enough my MPG went up slightly on the highway. I was getting 23.1 now im getting 23.9 with the lift, but might also just be breaking in. Around town in this heat of NM the hot air kills gas mileage. In Cali. I had a tahoe and a silverado both older models and I would get around 15 mpg around town on 305 65 R17s with leveling kits. I came here and it dropped to about 12-14 because of heat and elivation. If I was back in cali I would think you would be in good shape with this new truck type.

So get what you want out of it, I did and I love it. I get decent gas milage and power from a 5.3, if i wanted a work horse bad ass truck I would have got a Duramax with 4x4 decked out. I will be going to bigger tires when I kill these ones and dont expect to see it drop to the 16s on the highway. 295 65 R18 duratracs. Maybe its not realistic but I just dont see losing almost ten MPG.

Archived