What is/are the best option(s) for me?

• I would get the 4wd, you never know if you're going to need it, and resale value is higher
  • SLE value package with standard trailering. For what you said you'll be towing, you don't need the max tow, and you'll get better MPG with the 3.42 gears rather than the 3.73 Max trailering gears. It'll still be rated at 9600 lbs (max tow is 12000)

Max tow is 11,200 or 11,300 with the 5.3l not 12000

4wd is up to you, will it holds value better sure. But where are you from and how many 4wd do you see in comparison to 2wd? You dont need max tow either.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 cents...get a SLT and forget about spending all your time and money trying to install SLT features on a SLE. It will also have a higher resale value and more importantly, it'll sell more easily with less modifications than more.

I stated I would get 33's. If I got 35's I would get a suspension lift. You don't think I could get 16 MPG with 33's on a 2.5-3.5" level or lift?

I definitely think it's possible to average 16+ with 33s. I've asked several people running those exact tires (33" Nitto Trail Graps) in your pictures what their average MPG was and they said it was 16-18 with a 5.3. Obviously that will vary depending on your driving style and city/hwy ratio. But some have also said 13-14 MPG.

I agree with SilveradoSteve you won't get 16+ city but combined should be doable.

With 35s and lift you're probably looking at 11-13 MPG.

12.50x33 Load Range E on my leveled 5.3L 6 1/2 ft crew cab is doing about 16/14 mpg. I haven't been on a road trip yet but suspect 17 is likely at 75 mph ish.

I would go with the 2wd if I were you. The tow packages include an automatic locking differential, and a locker is as just about as good as a 4wd with open differentials. If this truck will be seeing mud or snow, then get 4wd. Transfer cases and 4wd hubs require maintenance regardless of how much you use 4wd, and they aren't cheap to fix.

It looks to me that you are planning to tow about 2000lbs (atv= 750lbs? + trailer 1000lbs?). Power will be less with bigger tires, but it wont be a problem when towing such a light load. I have driven my current truck for over 5 years (2009 f150 i got new). I lifted it 3" on the front and 1.5" on the back. I swapped the stock 32" (about 50lbs each) to 33" all terrains (57lbs). There was a small decrease in mileage (maybe 10%), but i'm not sure if it was from the tires, lift, headache rack, or age. 35s might be a different story. My truck was rated to tow around 8k lbs, and I tow 5k lbs. My only complaint about big tires and towing is braking, but a trailer brake controller fixed that.

Max tow is 11,200 or 11,300 with the 5.3l not 12000

4wd is up to you, will it holds value better sure. But where are you from and how many 4wd do you see in comparison to 2wd? You dont need max tow either.

To be honest I probably see more 4WD's. I was thinking of Max Tow just for the 3.73 gears because of the bigger tires.

12.50x33 Load Range E on my leveled 5.3L 6 1/2 ft crew cab is doing about 16/14 mpg. I haven't been on a road trip yet but suspect 17 is likely at 75 mph ish.

That's not too bad. Do you have an aggressive tire?

I would go with the 2wd if I were you. The tow packages include an automatic locking differential, and a locker is as just about as good as a 4wd with open differentials. If this truck will be seeing mud or snow, then get 4wd. Transfer cases and 4wd hubs require maintenance regardless of how much you use 4wd, and they aren't cheap to fix.

It looks to me that you are planning to tow about 2000lbs (atv= 750lbs? + trailer 1000lbs?). Power will be less with bigger tires, but it wont be a problem when towing such a light load. I have driven my current truck for over 5 years (2009 f150 i got new). I lifted it 3" on the front and 1.5" on the back. I swapped the stock 32" (about 50lbs each) to 33" all terrains (57lbs). There was a small decrease in mileage (maybe 10%), but i'm not sure if it was from the tires, lift, headache rack, or age. 35s might be a different story. My truck was rated to tow around 8k lbs, and I tow 5k lbs. My only complaint about big tires and towing is braking, but a trailer brake controller fixed that.

Thanks for the input. Part of me wants to get 4WD just in case I want to go up to the mountains when it snows. Yeah I don't think I will be towing anything too heavy.

Personally, test drive them all. Drive them like you already own them. Put the perspective new vehicles through their paces and see which one gives you the biggest smile. That will be the one you buy. When I'm buying a car, I'm pushing all the buttons, throwing all the switches, operating all the controls and give it a good solid test drive. Depending on how long you plan to keep the vehicle you need to make sure you are getting something that will make you happy for many years/miles to come. I'm on 8 years & 122+K miles with my "brand new" truck and I've yet to regret my choice.

That's not too bad. Do you have an aggressive tire?

I suppose it depends on your perspective. From my perpective, yes.

My opinion is that increased diameter has the biggest effect on reducting mileage, followed by width, then tread pattern. But it's just my opinion and I'm sure there are exceptions. My tires have all three strikes against them...in terms of fuel economy.

DSC_2214Large_zpsda24acd9.jpg

DSC_2227_zpsc43b28e6.jpg

RCX 2.5 kit stock photo. If you're trucks going to look like that I would get 4wd.

If your truck is going to look like that get 4wd, what does that mean? If he doesn't need 4wd (not off roading and pulling a couple jet skis out of the water will never require it) don't get it. You can't even tell now a day if a truck is 4wd or not with out a sticker or looking under it (unless the guy lets you know it cause heis so proud of it). That is a statement poseurs say, the look at me types trying to project an image of rough and tumble I got a 4x4 but never use it or need it (you see those jeeps and raptors running around). Putting a leveling kit will long term cause less stress on a 2wd front end than 4wd. We have had a few CV axles make noise and need replacing over the years from mileage, even worse with leveling, 2wd no worry for that. You save the up front cost (sure it has higher resale but not enough where you don't lose money on it anyway in the end), added mpg, less maintenance, and if he never uses it and one day decides to it may not work if he never used it before.

OP, get a SLE Sierra, 5.3, 2wd, trailering pack (no Max Tow) with preferred package and that comes with a locking differential which will be more than you need, save money in the long run and the lack of 3k spent adding on 4wd will cover the leveling kit, tires, rims and then some along with the gas saving. Since your going to a larger tire get atleast 3.42's to help turn the larger tires and not lose as much power.

Tyler

I suppose it depends on your perspective. From my perpective, yes.

My opinion is that increased diameter has the biggest effect on reducting mileage, followed by width, then tread pattern. But it's just my opinion and I'm sure there are exceptions. My tires have all three strikes against them...in terms of fuel economy.

DSC_2214Large_zpsda24acd9.jpg

DSC_2227_zpsc43b28e6.jpg

Do you have any rubbing and what level is that?

If your truck is going to look like that get 4wd, what does that mean? If he doesn't need 4wd (not off roading and pulling a couple jet skis out of the water will never require it) don't get it. You can't even tell now a day if a truck is 4wd or not with out a sticker or looking under it (unless the guy lets you know it cause heis so proud of it). That is a statement poseurs say, the look at me types trying to project an image of rough and tumble I got a 4x4 but never use it or need it (you see those jeeps and raptors running around). Putting a leveling kit will long term cause less stress on a 2wd front end than 4wd. We have had a few CV axles make noise and need replacing over the years from mileage, even worse with leveling, 2wd no worry for that. You save the up front cost (sure it has higher resale but not enough where you don't lose money on it anyway in the end), added mpg, less maintenance, and if he never uses it and one day decides to it may not work if he never used it before.

OP, get a SLE Sierra, 5.3, 2wd, trailering pack (no Max Tow) with preferred package and that comes with a locking differential which will be more than you need, save money in the long run and the lack of 3k spent adding on 4wd will cover the leveling kit, tires, rims and then some along with the gas saving. Since your going to a larger tire get atleast 3.42's to help turn the larger tires and not lose as much power.

Tyler

Thanks for the response Tyler. The more I think about it, I think 2WD might be the route for me. 2WD should be able to tow a trailer full of ATV's in the desert right?

Do you have any rubbing and what level is that?

No rubbing with these Cooper ST Maxx 305/60-18 (12.50x33) on stock AT wheels. The tires didn't rub when it was stock height. It is now leveled 1 1/2" with some aluminum blocks under the lower shock mount from ebay.

So far as mileage goes and your considerations, I have the SLT AT with the 5.3 and the max tow package. I'm running 33' Nitto Trail Grapplers with no lift and average 19 in town, and hit 22.9 with cruise set at 82 going from Cincinnati to Louisville. Love the tires and now have 15,000 on them. I've hauled a trailer loaded with ATV's a Gator and an ATV in the bed (posted in the fall about how to remove tailgate, specifically the back up camera lead). Averaged just under 14, and that was through hilly terrain with 4 people inside.

Archived