Battery cable - negative cable

I'm searched out. My dealer plans to replace the negative battery cable on my LT 5.3L but said he needed to order a complete cable as the nut on the battery post is captivated as part of the terminal clamp. After 1 month he called to say the part was in, but when I got there he opened a bag and there was only a standard nut. He said he would order again but I would like to give him the part number to order (I'll probably get something quicker that way). I've looked everywhere (even Ebay and Amazon plus auto parts Web sites) and can not find any cable with a captive nut. Anyone able to find the part number and maybe a picture - I would appreciate any help. Heck, I'm not even sure the nut IS captive to the post clamp.

post-126703-0-67821600-1404393790_thumb.jpg

Okay, based on the above 'Reply', I went to 2 different dealers and they all did their research on the computer while I was there and each said they can not even get just the bolt - they have to order the complete post clamp, including the bolt and nut, and with the battery cable (per the parts ordering manual). So it's still "waiting on the part" answer.

I asked about swapping my clamp/bolt & nut/ cable with another truck on the lot and naturally they were reluctant to do that.

I read on this forum about owners disconnecting the battery to do certain electrical mods - have any of you actually 'removed' the bolt/nut? Or do you simply loosen the nut until you can lift the clamp off the battery - or do you use a different method?

Does this work for you? I found it on the Autozone website....I would look at Napa too and avoid the dealer all together. The price listed is for a quantity of 100, I bet they sell individual ones in store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dorman-AutoGrade-battery-terminal-bolt-with-shoulder-hex-nut/_/N-25tv?itemIdentifier=964709_0_0_

yeah - saw the generic bolts yet when I took a picture to my dealer he still says the 'bolt' will not come loose from the post clamp - a 2nd dealer said the same when I phoned. It seems awfully bad if GM only offers a post clamp bolt/screw item for 2014 trucks as a part of the entire clamp and battery cable (and maybe a sensor on the negative cable) for ~ $70 !!!

I still have one on order (per the dealer) from 6 weeks ago when he placed the order.

Maybe I'll need to contact GM Customer Service and ask.

This came up once before. There was an actual part number for the bolt and nut IIRC. Do a search and you might find it. The dealers don't have a clue. Didn't then, and don't now.

Okay - latest info. This bolt/nut is not the 'Genuine GM 19116852 Battery Cable Tensioner Bolt Kit' for about $12 at Amazon. The part I need is as shown in my original post and as identified in posting #2. I called a GMC dealer this morning and he confirms that the $1 bolt/nut can only be ordered as a complete negative battery cable assembly. There are 2 battery cable assys depending on my VIN# - both parts shipping from Indiana. The GMC dealer says he can get the cable assy in about 7 days - maybe I'll go that route. (That means I lose all my radio pre-sets if the battery cable is removed. Most auto stores have a small box that plugs into the power point/cigarette lighter hole to power the radio so as to not lose the pre-sets but all my dealers say they do not have any of these).

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something here? You are having the replace the cable because of a little rust on the nut? Seems like a little overkill to me. :D. Why not wait 'til warranty is about up?

"when I was putting in my HID's in that the batter nut does not come off all the way" - that seems to be the crux of the problem - the flanged nut does not come off thus can not be replaced thus needing to replace the whole cable to get a new nut. This is what my dealer initially told me a couple of months ago when I took my truck in for its' first oil change and asked them to replace the battery nut while I was on site. This condition really is "weird" - replace a $75 cable instead of replacing a $0.20 nut.

Per my original 'post' - the nut is buggered up and rusting (and maybe the bolt threads) - came that way when I bought the truck. I thought replacing the rusting nut would be easy, but ....

Yah.... welcome to my nightmare. :freak:

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I've noticed this topic a few times, and I have to ask why don't you just cut / press the existing nut and bolt out of the battery clamp, and replace with a new brass one from the hardware store for under a buck? I understand that our trucks are new, and covered under warranty, and GM should pay to fix them for the first three years, but this is a fifteen minute job, for a bolt.....