What transfer case do I have?

• 5 years later...

Hey bud what type transfer case did you have?

The rebuild for my 01 chevy cost me $750 at the shop. That's including parts and labor, the issue i have with your pricing is that its a lot of money to rebuild that transfer case. It sounds more like the case to your transfer case was damaged (crack do to hitting something or from common issue of lack of support that causes increased movement when driving with or without 4wd on.)

If the case itself is damaged that would explain why the price is so high. But if its not then they over charging you. The rebuilding can be done by a DIY but you need to take it slowly and follow the directions from the diagram. You can by the diagram from your local chevy dealership.

You can get the complete overhaul kit from Rigid axles. That comes with new seals, bearings, seals, and etc.

Here is a tip when doing the transfer case rebuild. Make sure you take the black cover that looks sort of like a mouth (you will notice it when you look at it. It kinda looks like a fish face.) Off and remove the snap ring. If you don't then you risk causing a lot of damage to your transfer case.

Also make sure you use the correct gasket maker. If you use the wrong one it can get into your pump filter and cause issues with it performing like its supposed to. If you are unsure what type is need contact chevy dealership part depart and ask them. They should be able to tell you which one is recommended for this job. I hope this post helps you even though i am about 6 years little late but if it didn't help you but maybe someone else then that works as well.

Edited by ChrisL202
typo