Tailgate misaligned?

Yup, certainly on my todo list! Any idea how much that runs? I assume parts dept. keeps it in stock? Summit white has been around for 100000 years so it should be pretty common.

You would not believe how many different shades of white are there! But yes, summit white color should be in stock at most dealerships because it is so common on work trucks. I would get a tiny artists brush and prime the bare metal areas first, then used color coat.

Edited by pm26

I backed into someone last weekend and have essentially the same issue, except it's on my drivers side.

I see the tools you used for this, but can you explain better where you applied the force to get things back closer to where they are supposed to go?

Sure, I took the tailgate off on that side and pulled it back a little. (hinge and the support cable.) I left the other support and hinge in place because I didn't have to take it out. The tailgate sat on the bumper on that side.

the taillight comes out with 2 torx bit screws inside the tailgate, then you pull straight backward on it to disengage the clips in the bed side.

twist the bulbs out, set it aside.

The long piece of wood made it easier because I didn't have to directly hit the spot with the hammer, it was kinda hard to get to, but basically, I liked the wood up basically where the tailgate goes, making sure the weight of it is on the outer bedside piece that you see in the pic. (I hope that makes sense. I may need to circle it or take a different pic or something) From there I hit the wood 3-4 times hard an stopped and checked my progress. I did that until the outer bedside was roughly level with where the taillight lip should be.

If you grab the bedside with the taillight out and pull, you can see it flex (it takes a good bit of effort, unless I'm a weakling..) That's the piece you need to move.

If you grab the bedside with the taillight out and pull, you can see it flex (it takes a good bit of effort, unless I'm a weakling..) That's the piece you need to move.

Thank you for this! I was able to get it back in line and now my truck looks like it was never touched! (Of course I had to replace the bumper with a brand new take off as well)

(There are other dick holes in this thread I am not gonna even respond to.)

• 4 years later...
On 10/16/2014 at 2:46 PM, darkfox1 said:

Hey yall,

So first off I'm pretty sure this isn't a warranty issue or anything but, I would still like some help here, cos I don't know what to do.

When I bought my truck the tailgate was squeaking. The salesman looked and concluded that it was just a hinge that needed some grease. the other day when I was closing my tailgate I noticed though that this is not the case. The tailgate is squealing because its GRINDING ON MY TRUCK BED!

See the pics. I could try to take it off and align it, but it's so close on the other side..

Is my truck out of spec or something??

photo1-1.jpg

photo31.jpg

The other side doesn't have a lot of room either.

photo2.jpg

I have the same problem.  2014 lease return. clean carfax. I think the left quarter panels are miss aligned in the weldment. Mine didn't start until the paint rubbed through. I see zero adjustment to slide the tailgate to the left. Very visible in the pictures I marked up and attached. 

Screenshot_20191012-081012_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-080841_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-081358_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-081144_Photo Editor.jpg