Fuel Economy of 2014 Sierra 6.2 Max Tow.

I live in Austin TX and I get about 15 in town. I have a 3.42 rear. I get 21 on the highway. I use 87 octane only.

<<<there is the truck

Plenty of power for sure.

I rented and towed a 28 foot travel trailer and got about 10 MPG. The truck had plenty of power, but the trailer moved me around a good bit.

4838aaf5-3e6f-4eb8-b0e6-9cefed600419_zps

Trailer2_zps1b368ffd.jpg

I always wondered how it is so many other people post that they get so much better MPG than that.

Probably not driving as fast.

Maybe, but I drive pretty sedately. I'm 54 and don't need the thrill anymore.

Me to.

I guess when I said fast, I was also thinking trip length, urban, rural, interstate, terrain etc.

It's really difficult to get valid comparisons on one truck when changes are made. It's near impossible when it's different trucks different locations, different drivers etc.

Nebraska is fairly flat. Omaha is 1100ft above sea level.

My trailer 3500lb one doesn't weight much. I think with the 3.73 gear and the bigger motor you are getting the effect of a larger motor is more efficent on a smaller load than say a 5.3 with a 8000lb load. That would be my guess to why I am seeing better mileage.

Plus the 91 octane helps too. I bet if you put in 91 in your 5.3 you would see gains as well. Probably at least 1mpg

I think the lower gear 3.73 helps with the fuel mileage in town as long as you don't floor it everywhere.

My truck is 100% bone stock. I would do add ons such as a catback exhaust and intake if I saw big mpg gains. If I did those add ons I would want to do a tune as well.

The power is more than adequate with the 6.2 and 3.73

• 8 months later...

Wanted to do a quick update on the mileage I haven been seeing. I have 21,000 miles on the truck as of today.

Pulling the 3500lb trailer at 70mph I continue to get 12-14 mpg while towing.

Last weekend I pulled my larger trailer 6000lbs and had about 1200lbs in the bed. Going about 55-60mph I was able to get about 13mpg average.

On the way back it was probably closer to 14mpg going downhill and I shed the 1200 in the back of the bed.

The only thing I would like to see on my truck is the airbags on the back so I can keep the truck completely level while towing while keeping the ride awesome.

The truck truly pulls great, when it needs extra power it does get a little revy. the RPMs go up pretty high. If you are pulling a 10,000lb trailer and trying to go up hills and such I would guess seeing higher RPMs would be normal. Unless pulling my larger trailer I rarely see above 3000 unless I am giving it hell.

I have a 2015 Denali 6.2 standard bed and I average 24 mpg highway with ease at 75 mph

Usually about 18 in town

And towing my 8,000 travel trailer with bed loaded with the 4 wheeler and dirt bike my combined gross vehicle weight is right at 14000 pounds.

I still managed 12 mpg average on my trip to Taylor park reservoir which covers cottonwood pass and another pass I forgot the name

Here are some pics of my dic I was empty at the time I took this pic on my way to Denver averaging 75 mph

I did not snap a pic while towing sorry

2f68aebf55ec3f8a3857eafb0a9073aa.jpg2a02c0acd65802f571b4dbc49ec9b759.jpg

And this is what I was towing

25284a369d3a77d54e5bb00fa31134a6.jpg

Another pic with my previous 2014

1751aa6b1e9d1cab65b5d96604a63089.jpg

With these in the bed

3e895598dbdb8ad9514eb3e2a839864c.jpg

Oh and btw I do not have a max tow package

I'm right at the 9200 lb tow capacity rated for my truck

I have the 3.23 rear axel

I've not yet towed up a straight grade at 8% but I do feel I could still maintain 65 mph up an 8% grade with this load

I find i have more than enough power and have to back off due to the turns on the mountain passes or I end up exceeding the speed limit.

Someday I'll get to pull up the pass from silver thorn to the Eisenhower tunnel to see what it can do

The fast lane truck was able to do this climb I believe with 7500 lbs and was exceeding the speed limit.

Even without the sc I had on my 2014 I can honestly say the 8 speed helps a lot with mpg and towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived