Reverse Camera **UPDATE**

That's a great price! The black handle on ebay is about $60.

Make sure you get the 4mm machine screws 2 about 1/2 inch. .

Found a great price on the handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-GM-Silverado-Sierra-Tailgate-Handle-with-backup-camera-hole-Black-/201195778331

Let us know how your install goes and if the dealer reprogramming of the radio goes smoothly. If you get any sort of bill code or something on that part please pass along as it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers say they can't reprogram it.

• Like 1

I tried this on my 2015 3500HD and it didn't work. I had to get an aftermarket camera with wiring all the way to the HMI to make it work. So my new, unused, black tailgate handle with camera is for sale. I bought it at my local GM dealer and they wouldn't take it back. Part #'s 22803702 and 23156952. I paid $228.29. I'll let it go for $200 shipped (or local pickup in NJ).

I tried this on my 2015 3500HD and it didn't work. I had to get an aftermarket camera with wiring all the way to the HMI to make it work. So my new, unused, black tailgate handle with camera is for sale. I bought it at my local GM dealer and they wouldn't take it back. Part #'s 22803702 and 23156952. I paid $228.29. I'll let it go for $200 shipped (or local pickup in NJ).

That is disappointing. What was the issue that it didn't work?

That is disappointing. What was the issue that it didn't work?

The connection was there behind the bumper, but the wiring was not. So when the camera was plugged in nothing happened. My HMI was programmed for a camera since the lines showed up for a second when putting in reverse, then the "service rear camera system" message popped up. After connecting the aftermarket camera it worked with no flashing or programming. I assume it's because it's a 3500 and all of you having success have 1500's.

Installed the new handle with the camera yesterday it took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting the wiring through the hole in the tailgate! Going to my dealer Thursday to get the Hmi programed hopefully they know what needs to be done! If anyone has any pointers for my gm dealer let me know, or should order the pre programed Hmi ?? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Found a great price on the handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-GM-Silverado-Sierra-Tailgate-Handle-with-backup-camera-hole-Black-/201195778331

Let us know how your install goes and if the dealer reprogramming of the radio goes smoothly. If you get any sort of bill code or something on that part please pass along as it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers say they can't reprogram it.

Mjj, I went to a dealer today and they have no clue on programming! Called a different dealer and they think they might be able to get it done, but I dont have the time. So I will be ordering a programed Hmi. . Will let you know when I have a update

You need to have the VCO rewritten. As I understood the explanation, this changes the VIN to have it indicate the vehicle is now equipped with a reverse camera.

I installed the camera and handle myself, plugged it into the existing wiring on the truck via the plug at the rear junction box. Then I took my truck to my mechanic, who after some tinkering and searching through the computer, figured out he needed to have the VCO rewritten. Once he called them (AC Delco I believe) they performed a VCO rewrite and the VIN had been updated. My mechanic then updated the HMI and the truck accepted the camera. As soon as he put it in reverse, the screen turned on and the reverse camera worked.

I have a 2015 Chevy 1500 LT, 4.2" Screen (IO4), Crew Cab 4x4, 5.3 Ecotech.

No special modules purchased. No send off for programming. As I understand it, my VIN has been permanently changed to reflect the truck having a reverse camera, and as such no amount of dealer reprogramming will change it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks both of you for the info. I'll give my dealer a call and hopefully verify they understand what to do before I actually buy the camera. Then hopefully get it done probably at the same time as my first oil change which should be needed within a month.

Received a reprogrammed hmi today but I'm not sure if there's a installation procedure? I'm waiting for the directions to be emailed or text to me.

I wasn't sure what an HMI was so I did some searching. Seems like a lot of people are getting them reprogrammed to do stuff like we are wanting to do. From what I understand it's located behind the glove box. And apparently the vehicle will not run if there is not an HMI installed. That seems ridiculous to me.

Where did you buy your HMI from?

I hope your install goes well. Keep us posted.

Edited by mjj