Reverse Camera **UPDATE**

well I posted previously looking for some advice on installing the OEM backup camera into my 2014 Silverado. I collected all of the wiring diagrams from GM that i could, contacted a couple companies to see what i needed to purchase to install the camera to work with my 8" my link system in my truck (i have already had the MyLink flashed by the dealership to accept backup camera signal keep in mind). Well everyone said that you have to buy another module, run wiring down the frame rail, tap into this tap into that. Some even told me that its impossible, since my truck didn't come with the option from factory id have to replace half of the modules/wiring in the dash.

This weekend it was nice enough out that i decided to follow the wiring diagram and see where the camera I ordered would plug into had it came that way from the factory (just restless from being stuck inside most of the winter lol) so i pulled the tailgate apart and popped the original tailgate handle out. I proceeded to slide under the truck, found the junction block under the bed by the spare tire and examined to see what plugged into where. I found where it says the camera would plug into, it had a "filler" plug of sorts in it, so i popped it off, plugged the camera into it and jumped into the truck to see what would happen. Low and behold as soon as the truck was put into reverse the camera screen showed perfect picture from the camera. I was super excited, I wasn't expecting it to do anything than display "service rear camera system" like it had previously. So everything is installed now, works like a charm and couldn't be happier that i didn't have to do any modifications to wiring, buy new modules or anything. Best add-on I've done thus far.

post-104844-0-21499800-1423403746_thumb.jpg

^this is the "filler" plug i found plugged into where the OEM camera plugs into under the bed.

• Like 5

note: my truck is a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado z71, that had the 4.2" my link from factory. The only thing i did was replace the 4.2" My Link with the 8" one and have the HMI flashed for the screen and reverse camera. Nothing else has been modified. So it would be worthwhile for others to check and see if they have this plug in before buying an expensive kit and running all the wiring they want you too. :thumbs::chevrolet: (I could be as simple as buying the OEM camera/bezel and plugging it in)

nice, glad you got it working. It's usually rare that vehicles are pre-wired for stuff like this if it wasn't originally spec'd for the truck. Did you figure it out yourself, or did Chris suggest that you check there?

• Like 1

Chris was very helpful (thanks again for the help there), however he said that i would need a new module and wiring kit at least possibly a new camera as well. Therefore I was contemplating just giving in and going that route, however i decided to trace the factory route first and found this. Still very glad that it worked out this way. :ughdance:

I really wish someoen[sic] found a way to upgrade the camera on the 14 silverados. The camera is terrible compared to most I've seen in other vihicles with similar screen size. Useable, but terrible.

I keep hearing this about the 2014's, but the 2015's are great.

i can attest that the lines are not from the camera but rather the infotainment system, before i installed my camera when the truck was put in reverse it would still pop the lines up but just with a black screen, then it would pop up "service rear vision system".