DarkFox1's 2014 silverado LT

darkfox1

Thanks!

So.. I may finally be on the downward slope of the "phase I" part of my "project."

That basically means when I get these parts done I'm gonna take a breather and work on other things. My yard for instance. It's spring time and well.. my weed eater wont start. I'm gonna get a battery powered one I think. I've been fighting this stupid gas toro weed eater for 3 years now. It just won't start! When it does it wont stay running and smokes real bad. I had maybe 1-2 good seasons out of it. (its actually about 5 or 6 years old.) after that it was all down hill.

At any rate.

I just completed my final 2 order parts. A Chrome/silver Z71 grill, and a pair of Eagle eyes projector headlights.

With this my truck will look like an LTZ Z71 truck.

The only part of this that really bothers me is the Z71 logo. If it comes on the girll I'll probably leave it on for the time being, but thats kinda like putting VTEC on the back of a base model civic ya know? It's dishonest. I don't have Z71 RPO, and even if I got ALL the z71 parts.. it'd be wrong for me to put the logo on my truck.

So.. I'm gonna wait till it comes in and later down the road, I want to try to replace it with a logo that just says "4x4." That way I won't be false advertising, but I'll still have the red and silver badge in the bottom driverside corner of the grill.

Also on order is a harness for the reverse lights, and a harness for the RAP circuit so that I can FINALLY use my foglights.

And a switch face that says "driving lights" to replace the "backup lights" switch I was gonna use for the reverse lights. I proably shoulda just got one that says "aux." That way I could use it for anything but.. well I didn't. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Well phase.. 2? of the project is DONE!

A few cuts and scrapes on my arms today and I got my 2LZ grill and bumper cap on.

I also got my reverse lights rigged up and they work wonderfully.

photo%2011_1.jpg

pics kinda dark. Maybe I should get a better one tomorrow. The 2LZ grill is silver inside with chrome horizontal bars.

I decided to leave the Z71 on it. Its plastic welded to the grill. I know its kind of "ricing" (like having vtec on your car or something..) but.. well I'm 4wd and I could put bilstein shocks on the truck if I wanted to.. I dont think I'll be changing the the 4x4 logo on the bed or anything..

photo%2021_1.jpg

The reverse lights are wired up using an LED bed light harness, so it was 100% plug n play. No running wires or cutting wires or crimping. I did make a custom harness for the lights so that one can be disconnected from the other. Just a simple 2 pin harness from a camaro I got out of a junkyard. Works wonderfully.

photo%2031.jpg

The lights are 1500 lumen (total, I'm sure.) They're great for short range. Only cost me about $23. I wouldn't suggest them for headlights but for reverse/spot lights they work great! This way I can hook up trailers, or do anything that requires me working at night from the back of my truck.

They're actually just zip tied to the towing package. I originally had them on the bumper but I didn't like it. If the zipties prove to be unstable I'm thinking I'll switch to stainless pipe clamps. That sounds ghetto sure but.. I dont wanna drill holes in my towing package and frankly.. the worst thing about these lights is attaching them to the bracket, so if I can attach the bracket without a bolt.. I'm much better off.

FINALLY gave the truck a bath.

It still needs to be waxed, but.. its good to see that its a white truck with chrome accessories, not a beige truck with satin accessories.

I keep the road hot in this thing. I've put 11k miles on it since November. Kinda hard to wash it when its always rolling.

100_5912.jpg

I'm kinda wondering why this truck looks so "small" to me.

Z71s dont sit any higher than a 4wd do they?

Do I need to be looking for take off bilsteins to get the front end up or something?

The truck has a 2" rake. 36.75" front off the ground and 38.75" rear to the flat part of the fender on level ground.

100_5913.jpg

Why didn't you just buy the 2LZ if you are making your LT look like one?

Just curious, I'd imagine all the money buying the parts would add up to be just as much as the payments on a upper trim level (and without the nicer interior to boot). Good work though.

And no, my LTZ Z71 sits just as low as the low-trim 4x4s.

Because a 2LZ is like $48k.. and this truck was$32k. Also, this truck was purchased November '14. The 2lz didn't exist yet.

When I saw that grill I had to have it.

Other than the leather wrapped dash and 8" touchscreen my interior is just as nice as I'd want it.

Leather seats, center console, and I'll be getting the 8" touchscreen in the future.

I dont have power seats but frankly.. I like not having them. It makes the work I've done on this truck so much easier. I can quickly and easily put my seat right back where it was before anyone moved it, and I dont have to worry about any motors burning out or seat heating elements not working.. because I dont have heated seats.

I also have the manual ac, which I got used to in my camaro since it didn't offer climate control, and I quite like that because I don't have to argue with my truck to give me the temp of air that I want. In my GMT-900, if you turned the a/c off on a day that was less than 65, the "minnimum" temp it'd blow hot air on you when you were rolling with the window down.

I've considered getting the leather wrapped dash, but that'd be a HUGE swap job and probably cost $800 in parts alone. That may be an eventuality but probably not. The only reason I even say that is that my dash has a nasty scratch on the passenger side by the airbag, and I hate seeing it.

Archived