Collision detection not alerting

tewstone

Question

Yes, I have issue with new 2015 sierra 1500 collision detection system, it is worthless in detecting vehicles under 2 car lengths! The light does go amber about 1 1/2 car length set at the most farthest setting but with no alerts at all! Have had 2 months and only 1 alert when I was going up a hill approaching a vehicle slowing to a stop sign. Please help GM!

Terry

2 answers to this question

Saw an episode of Top Gear the other day that Clarkson found out accidentally that the car he was driving had collision detection when he was going to speed into a parking spot and brake at the last moment, and the collision detection beat him to the brakes. When he tried to demonstrate it again to the other two, he did not give enough distance for it to work and the car ran into either the wall or another car, do not recall which. Point is, collision avoidance only works under some very distinct parameters. There must be some speed and distance parameters met before collision avoidance will activate completely.

Cannot really tell from the original post if this is a real life incident or someone testing the system out. No matter which it is, you are far better off not relying on this to work the same in every case. The moment you start to depend on this working every time is about the same moment everyone else had better stay clear of you when driving.

The day I rely on electronics is the day I buy oceanside property in Missouri ...

Archived