Strykers_Inc 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L (Vader)

Strykers_Inc

Can you share with us any tips on how you got speaker wire into the front doors?

Yep....

First off I am going to say that your best bet is to use existing wiring. Its more than enough to get power through. I was "Hard-Headed" and didn't listen to Kyle, because in my "Old-School" car audio ways I have always used 12-14GA. Unless you are sending a "crap-ton" of power to those speakers, factory wiring is more than enough. My rear doors are using existing wiring and have 150@4ohms running to them. The C6's are not rear fill speakers but are actually tied to my front door C8 drivers. They are tuned down via gain overlap so that they are a tad bit quieter (as in a fade) but reach max volume when my C8 drivers due. They are time aligned as well and merely broaden the front stage. They are close enough to the drivers ear that when properly tuned, you cannot tell they are not in the front doors.

My front door speakers have 12GA routed to them through the MOLEX plugs in the door jams. What a pain in the ass that is. Its way more trouble than it is worth in my opinion and I would not do it again. Its a matter of removing them and routing the cable through them via drilling out the unused section of the plug. It is easy to mess up, and once you get the cable through it is difficult to reattach with the added cable.

So, my suggestion is........stay with the factory wiring.

Hope that helps!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man glad to see the build thread going strong. :)

Any advice on doing custom door panels? I am trying to make a simple flat panel for the drivers side rear door in a crew cab. My dog's kennel is on that side so i don't need a door handle or anything, just trying to do a flat carpeted wall with a fold down table but i am having a hard time figuring out a way to attach a new wall to the door. I was thinking maybe use some wall anchors in the existing holes where those snap in things go on the factory door panel?

Right now I have a piece of panel board cut out, but it doesn't sit perfectly flat from some bulges in the middle of the door. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey man glad to see the build thread going strong. :)

Any advice on doing custom door panels? I am trying to make a simple flat panel for the drivers side rear door in a crew cab. My dog's kennel is on that side so i don't need a door handle or anything, just trying to do a flat carpeted wall with a fold down table but i am having a hard time figuring out a way to attach a new wall to the door. I was thinking maybe use some wall anchors in the existing holes where those snap in things go on the factory door panel?

Right now I have a piece of panel board cut out, but it doesn't sit perfectly flat from some bulges in the middle of the door. Any advice would be appreciated.

No experience in that. But I will say that using small anchors like that is a good idea, Just make sure and use something like plastic sheet (ABS) to do it. Most likely it will last longer and can get wet....

Any advice on sealing wood before putting carpet over it? I just finished my storage/sleeping platform in the bed and i want to seal the wood before i put the carpet over it to help with the weather over the long term.

I want to make sure i use the correct stuff so that when i put the glue down for the carpet it will still adhere, i was thinking maybe just a layer of primer or some spar varnish?

Thanks!

Any advice on sealing wood before putting carpet over it? I just finished my storage/sleeping platform in the bed and i want to seal the wood before i put the carpet over it to help with the weather over the long term.

I want to make sure i use the correct stuff so that when i put the glue down for the carpet it will still adhere, i was thinking maybe just a layer of primer or some spar varnish?

Thanks!

Yep that should do it fine. You could seal it with just about any wood sealer.....but before you add the glue, scuff it up so that the glue has something to adhere to.

Looking good, Strykers_Inc!

Thanks! Still got a bunch to get done these next two months, but it's getting done.....will be posting a lot more stuff as it gets done....suspension and brakes should be done by end of month, and front end refresh in august....

great overall design, it all looks like it should have been there from factory.

i sent kyle a message on face book about having something very similar to you truck done. im wanting to either A) have my back seat chopped into 2 bucket style seats and have a full console from the dash to the back wall that would house the amps and then sub box up to the ceiling built or B) have something like yours except have a console from the dash to the back seat built that will be the sub enclosure and amp rack under the back seat. only problem is my truck is here in texas but for the quality of kyles work i would gladly make the 14 hr trip to have him do all of the work on it.

this sound system makes my jealous as hell there is a ton of money tied up in this thing on just audio alone.

I thought about doing a Ipad in my dash and then using a media player and a maestro for steering wheel controls as a headunit any thoughts on this?

great overall design, it all looks like it should have been there from factory.

i sent kyle a message on face book about having something very similar to you truck done. im wanting to either A) have my back seat chopped into 2 bucket style seats and have a full console from the dash to the back wall that would house the amps and then sub box up to the ceiling built or B) have something like yours except have a console from the dash to the back seat built that will be the sub enclosure and amp rack under the back seat. only problem is my truck is here in texas but for the quality of kyles work i would gladly make the 14 hr trip to have him do all of the work on it.

this sound system makes my jealous as hell there is a ton of money tied up in this thing on just audio alone.

I thought about doing a Ipad in my dash and then using a media player and a maestro for steering wheel controls as a headunit any thoughts on this?

I already had the design planned out for the center console to the back wall and bucket seats put in, then decided against it (That plan is still an idea for a future mod). Trying to get a set of buckets to fit correctly back there stopped that idea for me cold....until someone figures out a bomb-proof mod for seat brackets that fit without hassle.

Originally my jump enclosure was to be an addon to the back of the center console, but Kyle talked me out of it for a few reasons. He wanted to make sure that it was isolated from the center console so as to not rub on anything, and so that in the event it needed to move, it could. The hardest part to that enclosure is the fact that all four feet are set at different angles on the inside of the feet because the floor is pretty crazy at that point of the truck.

I chose my 2016 Apple Carplay Upgrade for the simple fact I had it modified to get 4 clean channels of output from the head unit module rather than line-out from the Bose amp. Kyle and I tried our best to break the code on the line out from amp without amplifying the warning tones and phone signals. Most people do not realize that the signal they are getting from the Bose amp has been tweeked by Bose software. Time delay and frequency manipulation has occured already, and it was giving the Audiocontrol Analyzer hell. Thats when I said screw it and was going to use a JL Audio Fix82 to grab the signal. Its a pricey piece of equipment, but well worth it for what it does. At the same time I was researching it, and getting ready have Kyle order one, I ended up finding my resource that provided me with the Apple Carplay Modules and Preamp out mods. I could not be happier with how that turned out, because I have full control over warning/chime volume and phone volume output with all my factory controls.

160510_2016_GMC_Apple_Carplay_Install_7.

The only thing I have not been able to get to work with the Carplay Upgrade is the steering wheel button to make a call, or end a call. I instead use "Hey Siri", and the on-screen hang up...oh well.....peace of mind has a price....

160510_2016_GMC_Apple_Carplay_Install_8.

......so I started last July/August on Car Audio and all my suspension and upgrade parts have been sitting in my den in their boxes....now its time to get that done......

If you would like more information as to the 2016 GMC Apple Carplay Upgrade with Pre-out from Headunit contact Greg at CPS Audio/Video.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 707-321-9300

...and yes the little bezel has been finished....LOL

160606_Radio_Bezels.jpg

what is your opinion on CT sounds, sundown audio, skar audio. im working on a budget of about 2-3k for the audio equipment. not going full spl or sq just wanting a nice sounding show truck.

what is your opinion on CT sounds, sundown audio, skar audio. im working on a budget of about 2-3k for the audio equipment. not going full spl or sq just wanting a nice sounding show truck.

Okay.....so I am biased......now thats out of the way....

I dont know enough about those brands so I wont say anything about them.....I do however know alot about Phoenix Gold, Illusion Audio, Hertz Audio, and a little about Mosconi...

I am an SQ guy. I like it LOUD and CLEAN. So my system is based on that. Could it be Louder, yes.....but I am happy with the response, and am not changing it for a long time.

I would go with Phoenix Gold Elite Component Speakers -or- Hertz Hi-Energy for mids and highs......you can find them for less than advertised and they are both outstanding (I would lean more to the PG though - even though the Hertz 6.5-inch XL driver is badass). I didnt use them, because I was introduced to Illusion Audio......and for the cost of a set of C6 Carbons, you could buy both front and rear components as previously mentioned.

http://phoenixgold.com/catalog/speakers/elite65cs

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-woofers-hienergy-hv165xl/

Subs, I am an PG Elite Fan, and Illusion Carbon...but I have heard good things about both JL and Sundown.

Amps, Phoenix Gold has a bunch out there at different levels of cost. Of course the Elite's are Top of the Line (Along with the price), but the Ti models are nail drivers and look good too. Mosconi's are beasts, but your paying for that. I know I have friends that have CT sounds amps, but I really dont know anything about them and have not heard them.

I have found that it also depends on what kind of sound you want out of the product you buy....contrary to many beliefs, amps do sound different. The Old School Phoenix Gold MPS and MS series amps are my favorites, and to me the Elites sound pretty damn close to them.

Not sure if you seen the write-up on my truck on the PG site, so here it is.

http://phoenixgold.com/newsroom/blog/install-feature-sierra-denali

Couldn't you just grab the signal going into the Bose amp?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That would be the obvious choice, but the signal is encoded for Bose amps.

I'm confused, aren't you doing the same thing? Just converting to a low signal from the head instead of using the speaker wires?

I'm confused, aren't you doing the same thing? Just converting to a low signal from the head instead of using the speaker wires?

No. All of my modules have been replaced with 2016 versions with upgraded nav and Carplay. Non Bose preamp out. So the signal is 20 to 20k clean, non encoded for bose.

Archived