Power Window Switch Issue

My father has a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. The driver side window had been getting a bit noisy when rolling up and down, and finally quit. We assumed it was the window motor/regulator and bought a new one. After pulling the door panel off we plugged the new regulator assembly in to test it before installing it...and it did not move either. I verified it worked on the passenger side, though.

At this point the only thing we can figure is that the switch is bad. I swapped the circuit breaker, so I know that is still good. Is it common for the window switch to fail, and the rest of the switch panel still operate properly? It looks like a replacement is ~$150 whether it is a Dorman part or GM part. However, GM is telling me there is a chip in it that will require it to be programmed to the truck! Is that true?

Had a similar issue on my '07, with the switches on the driver's door not working, though the switches on each individual door did work. Dismantled the switch assembly, contact cleaner on all the contact points, reassembled, and it works fine now. Just don't let cleaner touch any part of the plastic trim that shows - it takes the silver paint off.

Sean

Archived