2014 Silverado LTZ roof leak.

Hi I'm new to the forums here and went back a little ways and didn't find anything on this topic although I'm sure it exists. First time Silverado goer. Long time GM fan.

Anyways I just bought a 2014 Silverado LTZ with 8,000 miles on it exactly 1 week ago. It was raining this morning and I went out to my truck to grab my wallet. And walked in and the ceiling was wet. I called the dealer and there going to diagnose the problem. I can tell you for sure the sunroof was closed as I don't even use it. I was going to add pictures bu they're too big to add in. Anyways I read somewhere about the seals on the onstar shark fin on the roof. Which is right above where all the water leaks are. If you want the pictures I can probably send them another way. But yeah was looking for any input if anyone had a similar problem and what it was. Thanks in advance.

25fho5w.jpg

9948ls.jpg

And here's a picture of where I suspect the leak came from. As you can see a small drop of water coming from there. That came out of it after I wiggled it around a little.

rjm9h2.jpg

And this is the outside for anyone who just wants to see.

2nrkllk.jpg

That gap is supposed to be there. Supposedly there's another seal inside the antenna protecting it from the cab. I had the same problem with my truck from day one, and there appears to be 3 possible causes. The sunroof (clogged drain or misalignment), the OnStar antenna, or your windshield. Mine ended up being the window. Bring it to the dealer and have them do a water test. They'll lower the headliner and put a water hose around on the roof to find the leak. Have them make sure that there's no mold when the headliner is lowered.

Thanks for the replys. I don't think it's the windshield just because the leakage doesn't start at the windshield it starts under that antenna. The sunroof possible. As it was in the corner but the epicenter of the leak is directly under that onstar antenna. I have an appointment at the dealership Thursday. I'll let you guys know what happened and what it was.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Discovered our headliner has water stains across the rear head liner above the rest window. We have an appointment for Friday to access and repair. I will advise the outcome. We own a 2015 LT WITH 45K miles. We did purchase the extended warranty. 

3 hours ago, Bob Art said:

Discovered our headliner has water stains across the rear head liner above the rest window. We have an appointment for Friday to access and repair. I will advise the outcome. We own a 2015 LT WITH 45K miles. We did purchase the extended warranty. 

Sounds like the area where water is getting by the gasket on the 3rd brake light assembly. Make sure you check your extended warranty for exact coverages before going in.

Yep, the third brake light was the issue. They also checked the shark tail no issues there. A little steam clean took out about 90% of the stain lines, and $251.00 for new light and caulk. We will wait for summer to do a full clean on the head liner. 

Edited by Bob Art

57 minutes ago, Bob Art said:

Yep, the third brake light was the issue. They also checked the shark tail no issues there. A little steam clean took out about 90% of the stain lines, and $251.00 for new light and caulk. We will wait for summer to do a full clean on the head liner. 

Good news. Do you know why/where they used the caulk?

8 hours ago, Bob Art said:

It appears behind the gasket. I looked to quickly when we left the dealer, the truck is snow covered now, when it melts off, I’ll take a second look. 

Just curious as to why they are using caulk when it comes from the factory without any there.