Is The Dash On Your GM Truck Cracked? New Lawsuit Launched

Gorehamj

Maybe my luck has finally changed, but since I started driving in the 90s Ive had several GMs... F bodies, Cutlasses, trucks, vans, etc. Every single one that I can remember had a cracked dash except my 2007 Silverado LTZ.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know for sure if this cracking dash stuff is primarily related to UV exposure or structural flexing and stress?

• Like 1

Does anyone know for sure if this cracking dash stuff is primarily related to UV exposure or structural flexing and stress?

Structural flexing and stress,has nothing to do with UV/sun exposure.

I believe his question was to try to figure out which one it was, not to relate them together as one.

Personally I suspect it is a combination of both, you have UV/IR exposure to where the plastic breaks down and becomes more brittle, then if you have any structural deflection or warpage caused by the structural properties of the truck and it causes the dash to fatigue, and eventually crack. It may also have to do with the screw points in relationship to the weak points in the dash.

Edited by okfoz
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Cracked dash here on 2010 Suburban. Looks like hell. Started cracking in early 2014. Also, my sons 2012 Silverado 1500 has several cracks in the dash that have made a big hole. My brother has a 2012 Ford FX4 with 100k, no problems, never been in the shop. His Ford is a FAR superior driving vehicle. No more GM junk for me. We've had nothing but problems and GM makes good on nothing! Too bad WE paid for the bailout.

• 2 years later...

Yes it is 2011 Chevy Tahoe ltz cracked from top of steering column down it as well as other side leading to air bag ... Beyound furious with this hunk of junk, has more issues then my  04 Chevy trailblazer I nickel and dimed to keep alive a few thousand miles per 4 new transmissions! I will never own another garbage Chevy!!! 2011 Tahoe ltz issues other then that... I get a rust inhibitor max car wash few times a week and at least and it's covered front to back in rust bubbles. Moon roof broke. Door handles keep breaking.air ride and shocks we're garbage. Tranny has issues. 4 wheel drives messing up. It hates life switching from 2nd to 3rd in town speeds it will bog n give you crap. The catalytic converter is junk it stinks like rotten eggs. I'm so embarrassed of this hunk of junk.. thats just the start of it...how is Chevy getting away with these over priced death traps...

received_295763071064784.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I got here by searching for info on a cracking dash and ran across this link  https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/blog/2018/05/the-issue-on-gm-cracked-dash/ 

On 06/07/2019 I purchased my 2008 GMC Yukon SLT used in a private sale with 43K miles on it, hardly ever driven, a very well taken care of SUV. No cracks in the dash. Now a month and 1000 miles later it has a crack in the driver's side of the dash 4 inches long near the seam in front of the instrument cluster, and a crack in the passenger's side of the dash 2 inches long at the corner of the airbag. I immediately saw this as a safety issue. The Takata air bag inflators have been under recall since 2016 with a status of "Remedy Not Yet Available" according to the CARFAX I ran on the Yukon, and at www.safercar.gov making the dash a ticking time bomb with shrapnel as a bonus to seriously injure or kill myself or my wife in the event the air bags deploy. NHTSA states, "Long-term exposure to high heat and humidity can cause these air bags to explode when deployed. Such explosions have caused injuries and deaths." https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/takata-recall-spotlight I've read where the dealership, when you could pin the Rep down, quotes a ridiculously high repair price in the neighborhood of $2000 and admitted that a cracked dashes have been a big issue with the Yukon, and hopes that you'll go away and buy a dash cover. I don't have that kind of money. I don't want a dash cover, that's nothing but a band aid on a broken leg. I want GM to step up and issue a recall. What's the status of this "new" lawsuit? Posted 07/19/2019

Driver's Side Dash Crack 1 Resized.jpg

Driver's Side Dash Crack 2 Resized.jpg

P Side Dash Crack 1 Resized.jpg

P Side Dash Crack 2.jpg