Is The Dash On Your GM Truck Cracked? New Lawsuit Launched

Gorehamj

It is different for everyone. GM is not covering 100% for vehicles out of warranty on all vehicles. It's a case by case basis. They offered to pay half on my 2010, I declined as I feel this is mfr / supplier defect

Ryan

Weird cause my buddy got his replaced under warranty. No cost to him. And like I said, he was out of warranty.

Weird cause my buddy got his replaced under warranty. No cost to him. And like I said, he was out of warranty.

I have followed this for a couple years now. It is very case by case and seems dealer by dealer.

I got very lucky. I was really expecting them to not cover mine because I had around 70,000 miles. Came back and covered 100%. This was right around 2 years ago. I have a 2007 LTZ.

I took real good care of my 2009 Sierra SLE with regular truck dash. I did not use Armor all on my dash and I used a sun shade most all the time. I live near Atlanta area so we get a real good hot sun in the summer here. I found info on the dash cracking in the earlier year models and decided to look at mine. Sure enough there was a crack in the dash around the instrument panel. A coworker has an SLT model 2009 as well. His has cracks around the instrument panel and the airbag. I have since traded off my 2009 and got a 2014 model This is one of the reasons I love my 14 because the dash is not all hard plastic.

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Denali that is cracked on the by the passenger air bag opening going back towards the center of the windshield. Can you honestly tell me this would not be an issue if the air bag was to deploy. I do agree it looks bad and I have seen others that look terrible compared to mine.

This may seem a little strange, does anyone that have a cracked dash regularly use Windex or Ammonia based cleaners on the inside of the windshield... One thing I learned a long long time ago was Ammonia and plastics do not always get along to well. Case in point, take a piece of lexan and spray it with an ammonia, it will fog over.

Also Anyone without dash cracks here use windex or other ammonia based products on the inside of their windows?

This may seem a little strange, does anyone that have a cracked dash regularly use Windex or Ammonia based cleaners on the inside of the windshield... One thing I learned a long long time ago was Ammonia and plastics do not always get along to well. Case in point, take a piece of lexan and spray it with an ammonia, it will fog over.

Also Anyone without dash cracks here use windex or other ammonia based products on the inside of their windows?

Never

Ryan

Ah, the beauty of using a DashMat cover. I can spray whatever I want on the inside of the windshield to clean it and none of it gets in contact with the plastic in the dash. Hadn't thought of that issue. I was primarily concerned with UV protection.

Edited by Cowpie

my 97 dodge cracked two years ago. Hot cab - thermoformed plastic, which is rigid and becomes brittle over time.

I tried getting a part off a Texas truck, and the dash cracked into many pieces as I struggled to free the part.

These dash caps used to be made of urethane foam with a vinyl exterior. Those lasted better IMO.

my 97 dodge cracked two years ago. Hot cab - thermoformed plastic, which is rigid and becomes brittle over time.

I tried getting a part off a Texas truck, and the dash cracked into many pieces as I struggled to free the part.

These dash caps used to be made of urethane foam with a vinyl exterior. Those lasted better IMO.

so its kind of like when older electronics turn yellow after a few years (its the Bromide Flame Retardant leaching out of the plastic), but in this case, years of constant heat and cold cycles make the plastic brittle and crack (and in extreme cases; crumble like graham crackers, and cause further problems)

Ultra violet light deterioration, same results on your skin. Wear sunscreen.

Doesnt the glass in our trucks provide some UV protection? With the cracks mostly starting in the exact same location in all these vehicles my theory of a bracing issue is still pretty strong

Ultra violet light deterioration, same results on your skin. Wear sunscreen.

Has nothing to do with UV protection...I know quite a few of these cracked where the truck never sits outside in the sun,one of which is my buddies '08 w/only 26,000 miles on it that is always in the garage,and when it isn't he has one of those dash covers he puts inside of the windshield.

I also think Ryan's truck above is garage kept as well.