Diablo vs. Blackbear?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really like to get some feedback from people about the "Autocal" vs the "InTune" programmers that go along with getting a custom tune...ease of use, the on screen display, etc.

Anyone have any opinions to share on these units??

AutoCal has practically none of the onscreen features that any of the Diablo devices have. Its pretty much just there to transfer tunes from a computer to your truck. You can plug it into the OBD port and see throttle, intake temperature, trq output, rpms, and etc. But this is pretty much useless as the screen is very small, and the unit is large and cumbersome.

Just depends on what you are looking for, I wanted a clean look and nothing that gave away to the fact that the truck was tuned. The new GM trucks have very nice interiors and I didn't want a device like a Diablo tuner taking away from that.

As far as tune qualities I feel that this has been discussed a thousand and one times. A custom tune will be better than any pre-made tune you can get on a handheld device. Not to mention that allot of the Diablo users experience poor shifting habits from the handheld tunes. You can always get a custom via Lew and its debatable whether Lew's tunes are better than black bear or vice-versa as tune quality is subjective.

AutoCal has practically none of the onscreen features that any of the Diablo devices have. Its pretty much just there to transfer tunes from a computer to your truck. You can plug it into the OBD port and see throttle, intake temperature, trq output, rpms, and etc. But this is pretty much useless as the screen is very small, and the unit is large and cumbersome.

Just depends on what you are looking for, I wanted a clean look and nothing that gave away to the fact that the truck was tuned. The new GM trucks have very nice interiors and I didn't want a device like a Diablo tuner taking away from that.

As far as tune qualities I feel that this has been discussed a thousand and one times. A custom tune will be better than any pre-made tune you can get on a handheld device. Not to mention that allot of the Diablo users experience poor shifting habits from the handheld tunes. You can always get a custom via Lew and its debatable whether Lew's tunes are better than black bear or vice-versa as tune quality is subjective.

Thanks for your input...

Is the autocal easy to switch back and forth from tuned to stock for trips back the dealer? Can i do changes on the fly with it, like speedo calibrations for larger tires, etc?

Thanks for your input...

Is the autocal easy to switch back and forth from tuned to stock for trips back the dealer? Can i do changes on the fly with it, like speedo calibrations for larger tires, etc?

You cannot do any of that via the AutoCal, the AutoCal will only download and upload tunes from the truck. If you want to do any of those changes you need to have access to EFI Live software to be able to make those changes. You can also just email Justin from Blackbear with those requested changes and he will make them for you, email you the tune, and you can upload it to your truck.

You can only change tunes while you are parked, nothing on the fly. The biggest benefit to having a black bear tune is just the overall quality of the tune. The truck acts and drives just like factory, with just a ton more torque, power, and better shifting habits. Often tunes will cause bad shifting habits or occasional stuttering, the BB tune does none of those. Justin and them know their stuff.

A more in depth guide on the AutoCal BB tune

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/172347-blackbear-tune-vs-diablew-tune/?do=findComment&comment=1618621

You do realize that you can just upload a tune from the Diablo deviice then unplug it correct? There is nothing to mess up the interior. You only need it plugged in for uploading a tune or datalogging.

I don't want to go into details right now, but if I had it to do over again I'd go blackbear over the intune. My Diablew tunes have been nice, but I think there's more blackbear can do, plus the intune hardware is slow at updating and saving datalogs. None of that is a complaint about Lewis-more a diablo versus autocal opinion.

I don't want to go into details right now, but if I had it to do over again I'd go blackbear over the intune. My Diablew tunes have been nice, but I think there's more blackbear can do, plus the intune hardware is slow at updating and saving datalogs. None of that is a complaint about Lewis-more a diablo versus autocal opinion.

Why not go into details? I just received my i2, I would like to know if there is a problems ahead for my 2015? Lew's tunes have always been top notch for me, I couldn't imagine what else I would need, or specifically what more blackbear can do. But that is simply due to my ignorance of the blackbear product.

Guess I will try Blackbeard this time because I can't get the Diablo to work on the 2015 and you can't get any support from them lately!!Tried of calling and getting hung up on by recording or sit on hold for a hour

Did you try the Diablo forum? I am just getting ready to hook mine up, what specifically was your problem? I'll just send this back if there is a major problem.

I just received my i2, I would like to know if there is a problems ahead for my 2015? Lew's tunes have always been top notch for me, I couldn't imagine what else I would need

Which diablo tuner model did you previously have?

Basically the same thing, Diablo inTune i1000.

Maybe once you use your i2 you can let us know how it compares. I know it's just supposed to be faster at processing and switching tunes, but it would be nice to have someone who has used both versions give some feedback.

Maybe once you use your i2 you can let us know how it compares. I know it's just supposed to be faster at processing and switching tunes, but it would be nice to have someone who has used both versions give some feedback.

I'll let you know Tuesday, it's at work, had too much to do installing my RetraxPro MK, Console safe, and Swing Case today.

Why not go into details? I just received my i2, I would like to know if there is a problems ahead for my 2015? Lew's tunes have always been top notch for me, I couldn't imagine what else I would need, or specifically what more blackbear can do. But that is simply due to my ignorance of the blackbear product.

The hardware is ok at best. I was stuck when I plugged my intune into my laptop one day and I had an automatic update start (which I couldn't stop or opt out of) that took more than hour when all I wanted to do was upload a log. Significant logs also can take 20 minutes or more the intune to save which means you are stuck waiting until you can get another log. For a simple WOT log through a few gears it's ok, but for a significant log where I want to see the truck under different loads and conditions it takes a while.

The dataviewer is something you have to search for online. And guess what? It doesn't support the intune for live data viewing out of box and requires you to search for a driver. Things could be laid out much more logically for a tool that's this mature. Another issue is there are no instructions on how to do analog input with the intune-in fact the harness/jack is listed for the Trinity. The screen also will not display any analog inputs during logging, For something that's supposed to be a dumbed down simple to use tuner-there sure are a lot of bugs and disjointed pieces of software and instructions. I wouldn't mind if this were HP Tuners, but the Diablo isn't marketed this way.

Note: my complaints are not about Lewis.

The hardware is ok at best. I was stuck when I plugged my intune into my laptop one day and I had an automatic update start (which I couldn't stop or opt out of) that took more than hour when all I wanted to do was upload a log. Significant logs also can take 20 minutes or more the intune to save which means you are stuck waiting until you can get another log. For a simple WOT log through a few gears it's ok, but for a significant log where I want to see the truck under different loads and conditions it takes a while.

The dataviewer is something you have to search for online. And guess what? It doesn't support the intune for live data viewing out of box and requires you to search for a driver. Things could be laid out much more logically for a tool that's this mature. Another issue is there are no instructions on how to do analog input with the intune-in fact the harness/jack is listed for the Trinity. The screen also will not display any analog inputs during logging, For something that's supposed to be a dumbed down simple to use tuner-there sure are a lot of bugs and disjointed pieces of software and instructions. I wouldn't mind if this were HP Tuners, but the Diablo isn't marketed this way.

Note: my complaints are not about Lewis.

So you are using the first Intune not the Intune2? I've read that the I2 has a faster processor, etc...but the instructions could still be an issue i guess. This is why I've been asking around, I don't want to get hung up with problems. I just want to download the tune and go...black bear seems to be getting the better reputation so far, although more expensive, but i guess you get what pay for.....even though the Diablo is cheaper but still expensive

Archived