Virginian Members

General Lee 01

I have a question for Virginiansabout getting my D\L.

I'm over 18. I read in the 1999-2000 edition of the DMV handout (the little booklet you can get at DMV) that once you are over 18, you don't have to attend Driving School in order to apply for your liscence with DMV. (as you would when you apply as a minor [16-17])

My question is, is it still like that today or have they changed it in the past 3 years?  

I know I should go over to DMV and ask them, but I was hoping to save myself the trip.  :crackup:

General,

It USED to be that way, but it looks like thats changed completely.

VIRGINIA DMV DRIVER'S LICENSE ELIGIBILTY

If you are under age 19 you must complete a state-approved driver education program.

If you are age 19 or older, applying for a driver's license and you have not previously held a driver's license, you must show proof that:

- you passed an approved driver education course, or,

- you held a Virginia learner's permit at least 30 days before taking the DMV road skills test.

You Can Read More at the DMV's Website:

dmv.state.va.us - then click on Citizen Services

Justin

I used to live in VA...I dunno if any other states do this but you can renew your DL online....kinda cool....I don't know what they do in FloriDUH...where I live now, but I do know I had to make an appointment 2 months in advance to just get a FL license (no test, just picture).  This state is backwards.

:crackup:

General,

It USED to be that way, but it looks like thats changed completely.

VIRGINIA DMV DRIVER'S LICENSE ELIGIBILTY

If you are under age 19 you must complete a state-approved driver education program.

If you are age 19 or older, applying for a driver's license and you have not previously held a driver's license, you must show proof that:

- you passed an approved driver education course, or,

- you held a Virginia learner's permit at least 30 days before taking the DMV road skills test.

You Can Read More at the DMV's Website:

dmv.state.va.us - then click on Citizen Services

Justin

Yeah, I read it acouple days ago.

Oh well.

Contemplating..... Wait 10 months (notthat long to me, ####, I've waited 18 years.), or take driver's ed?

Which would yall do?

Costs a ton of money...luckily the school is paying for my drivers ed.  Unfourtunately I will not be fully licensed until age 18...I will get my learners this summer and have a limited license or something from 16-18.  Basically I am not allowed to have anyone my age in the car, I can't drive after 9 or 10 PM (I can't remember which one) and some other stuff...

Can you take it through school?

No, I'm home-Schooled. :smash:

You don't happen to know how much it costs to take an "outside" Driver's Ed, do you?

Not of hand, I took it at school. I do have several friends who took it outside of school so I'll ask around for you.

Honestly, 95% of what I have learned was taught to me on a dirt road in Alabama...basically I was handed the keys to a beat up Blazer, taught the basics, then given the rest of the time to get used to driving.  Great way to learn!  :thumb: The only reason I am taking a drivers ed course is to make it all legal...

I am not the only one taught like this in my family either...when my cousin's wife was young she taught herself to drive a manual after having the keys to a pickup handed to her and being told to have the truck back by 9 PM.

Archived