IO5 vs. IO6 (Nav from carplay?)

Im going through a build sheet for a particular truck im looking at purchasing. Currently I have an 07 LTZ with Nav that I never use ( I just use my phone ). What is the difference between IO5 and IO6? Is it just the navigation? And If IO5 also has carplay, which has NAV that can be used if you have an iPhone, is it worth the extra $800 dollars for the IO6 system?

I see $495 in design build for IO6 from IO5. Are you sure the $800 doesn't also include something else?

IO5 Audio system, 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen with IntelliLink, AM/FM/SiriusXM, HD Radio with USB ports, auxiliary jack, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and most phones, advanced phone integration featuring Apple CarPlay, Pandora Internet radio and voice-activated technology for radio and phone

SLE and SLT - Upgradeable to (IO6) 8" Diagonal Color Touch audio system with Navigation and IntelliLink.

IO6 Audio system, 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen Navigation with IntelliLink, AM/FM/SiriusXM, HD Radio with USB ports, auxiliary jack, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and most phones, advanced phone integration featuring Apple CarPlay, Pandora Internet radio and voice-activated technology for radio and phone

SLE - Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package on SLE.

SLT - Included with (PDT) SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus Package.

$800 in Canada. If the only difference is the NAV, ill save my money and use the phone's nav through carplay (I would do that even with the IO6)

I just retrofitted my 2015 Silverado with CarPlay and kept it at I05. Same thoughts as you - why buy nav if I am getting nav from Apple Maps.

See this post

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am putting a 2014 Io 5 HMI into my 2015 Silverado whith Bose.  I have it comming from Digital Dash Solutions, Putnam, CT.  I want the android auto functionality so that I can use Google maps.  Due to the Bose audio system, which I love, I will loose the Onstar and XM, but I don't use either.

I will let you know how it comes out.

The Digital people have been very helpful so far.  They do programming also.

Apparently the carplay is a hardware/firmware option in some of the HMI modules.   I have been researching getting (carplay and) android auto for a month.  The "projection' icon indicates the presence of the capability. I have an early 2015 Silverado and went to the dealer to "get the free update". Big waste of time. My stock unit is IO-5 with BOSE and no NAV.  It has to be changed, The new complete kits are quite expensive, $1000.00 plus.  Digital dash and a couple of others have apparently got some good software people who have reverse engineered the programming. The new unit coms with the old VIN cleared so that it will setup for my truck.   As I have to change both the radio and the HMI modules, their $500.00 price seems quite reasonable.  I shall report on the progress of this adventure!!

I prefer the android auto/carplay to factory NAV as the updates are free and the software is constantly being improved.  I usually keep a car ten years or so.

I prefer the android auto/carplay to factory NAV as the updates are free and the software is constantly being improved.  I usually keep a car ten years or so.

I agree. I have the io6 with Bose, factory NAV and CarPlay. In the 7 months I’ve owned the truck, I’ve rarely used the factory NAV. I always go to Apple maps, as I’m always connected to CarPlay when in the truck. If I had ordered the truck, I would have most likely skipped the factory NAV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aforementioned installation of android auto/carplay was laborious but a success.  Digital Dash's replacement radio and HMI kit came with the usb connector for the console and adequite directions.  I would not recommend that you try this if you are heavy handed as there are a number of plastic plugs that are easy to break and you will be working in tight space with short cabling.  The two "new" units are programed to find the VIN of your truck, a good excuse for a half an hour coffee break mid job, and then everything comes to life nicely.

There are several different and incompatable versions of the hardware.  My truck is an early 2015 with Bose audio.  The proper replacement kit is a Bose compatable system from 2014-15.  The later 2015-16 units are not compatable.  You have to send your VIN to the vendor (Digital Dash Solutions in my case) and they have to run it to read your installed options from the build sheet to find out what will work in your truck.  You will save about 300.00 by requesting no factory NAV.  I am really enjoying WAZE via Android Auto from my Motorola Droid..  The phone blutooth works as usual, and Onstar says it is still there.  Although I will not use it.  The Android/Carplay is the way to go as the open source software community will be constantly adding features to it.

There is one major hazard though.  I had the bright idea to clean/replace the cabin filter while I had the glove box apart.  When I poped the cover and pulled the filter, a big clump of pine needles, nutshells, and leaves dropped into the heater fan which is directly under the filter.  UG, what a mess.  And, I cant use the blower as it will distrabute the stuff into the rest of the ductwork. This cleanout will add another two hours to the job.....

I can heartily recommend Digital Dash as they patiently endured my questions (I am a retired tech, so nothing is simple) through three phone calls and two emails.   Contact <[email protected]>  Jenni,  they have several UTUBE videos with directions, an excellent warrenty,  and they take VISA.

If I can be of assistance to anyone, please let me know.

• 2 years later...

I'm a little late to this, but when changing the cabin filter, slide a thin piece of plastic or index paper under the cabin filter before removing it. Hold the plastic or paper in place as you pull out the filter. It will prevent any debris from falling into the fan.  The fan located directly under the filter is in an awkward position and should anything fall it is almost impossible to  remove without added and unwanted work. I almost learned the hard way when a leaf unknowingly fell into the fan. When I put on the AC, I heard a thumping sound as the fan blade hit the leaf. I went back and removed the cabin filter and after scraping my knuckles reaching down to the fan, with luck I was able to remove the leaf.