Fog lights w/ headlights

there are two main options you will want to ask yourself when doing this mod.

the fog lights come on when the lights come on, or you press the fog light button. they turn off when high beams are in use, look for the 10-18 setting

To turn on when the lights are on even set to auto, and with high beams use setting 10-22

read the form and you will get a better understanding.

there are two main options you will want to ask yourself when doing this mod.

the fog lights come on when the lights come on, or you press the fog light button. they turn off when high beams are in use, look for the 10-18 setting

To turn on when the lights are on even set to auto, and with high beams use setting 10-22

read the form and you will get a better understanding.

Thanks. Sounds like I want the 10-18. I would like them to come on when the headlights do automatically. Having to press the button each time gets old.

My 2 cents......

Under clear conditions it really doesn't matter if the fogs remain on or off with low and/or high beams and at most marginally provide a little extra lighting. But, those that have ever been caught in a dense fog, ice fog, rain deluge or snow blizzard can appreciate why they are wired this way and why they are mounted lower on the vehicle than the main driving lights. Under the previous conditions the particles in the air even driving solely under low beams will reflect light back to the driver and white-out the windshield....try it with high beams and the reflected light will be so bright it will blind the driver.

Been there, done that, in a severe night mountain fog driving a '62 Nova without fog lights.....I had to crawl with parking lights only with the fiancee hanging out the window with a flashlight to spot the white curb line. Under similar conditions running only with low mounted fog lights (and parking lights) will not reflect back to the driver yet provide still provide vision of the forward and peripheral roadbed and identify location of the vehicle to an oncoming vehicle.

Fog lights under routine used by most drivers, i.e., clear conditions, provide marginal extra lighting and further identification to ongoing traffic. Those because of elevation/climactic conditions who frequently encounter near zero visibility weather conditions and others that may encounter it only as a rare occurrence, once they encounter it, will understand why for safety reasons fogs are driver controlled by a separate switch and independent of routine headlight operation. In particular, to the point that they are automatically turned off when high beams are engaged.

If you have the fogs wired directly to the headlamps and you encounter a heavy mountain fog at night, better have someone riding shotgun with a good flashlight. Not to add that fogs on with high beams is illegal in many states including WV,VA and an immediate fail for the yearly safety inspection.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

I will share my two cents here as I find it ridicules seeing the fog lights on in daytime driving with the headlights. I don't understand why drivers have them on unless its a thing to do to be cool... :crazy:

But at night with the high beams on and the fog lights I find a bit wider area illuminated directly in front of the truck say in the area of the side of the road or ditch area (I live in a rural area) and that I why I did the mod. I like having the ability to turn the fogs on and off so the 10/22 mod is the way I went.

Additionally some states have laws about more than 4 lights illuminated on the front of the vehicle... or so I am told.

Mod on...

• Like 1

So I definitely don't want them on with high beams bc I don't want to blind anyone. I also do no want them to be on during the day. I would just like them to come on when the headlights do without having to press the button every time. I leave the lights on auto so they only come on at night, parking garages, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the diode on the parking light relay with the fog so it only cones on at night and not with the DRL.

Awesome. Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Only comes on when triggered bc it's dark out. Anyway you have pics or can do a quick run down. I'm good with a lot of things but not electrical type work.

• Like 1

no tools needed really, Just get one of the diodes from Radio Shack or order 100 from amazon for 4 bucks.

I pulled the brown plug out(squeez the tab and pull, comes out very easily). Stick the side of the diode with the white line in the 22 slot and stick the other side in the 10 slot. They are fairly close together, the 22 is 2 slots up from the 10. I'll get a picture but I haven't had luck posting pictures on this forum, the filesize is always too big.

6c280c79-d670-4d20-94f0-dfdd92a90fe2_zps

• Like 3

Awesome. Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Only comes on when triggered bc it's dark out. Anyway you have pics or can do a quick run down. I'm good with a lot of things but not electrical type work.

If that's what you're looking for then check out

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Silverado/P-P-Harness13/Foglamp-Harness3/

Might want to give them a call.

They make custom wiring harnesses for GM vehicles and they offer two harnesses one will automatically turn on the fogs with the parking lights, low and high beam but retain normal DRL operation .....and one that will automatically turn on the fogs with only the parking lights and low beams but retain normal DRL operation. My Camaro did not come with fog lamps and yearly inspection station indicated that fogs lit on high beam, whether or not with a defeat switch, was an automatic fail....further, disconnecting or removing the bulbs was not an option because all installed lights must function. Gen5diy sold both versions wither with factory fogs with the harness or the harness itself for existing fogs, the plug in harness connects to the existing harness(es) with no cutting or splicing using GM connectors and self contained relays. A simple plug and play install with no fooling around and no jamming external components into plugs or sockets, 100% reversible.......worth a few bucks, looks like a professional install and eliminates the possibility of screwing up something with a wrong connection or a shorted out external component. Using their harness my Camaro now has fogs that turn on automatically with the parking lights and low beam only, off on high beam without having to throw a switch and easily passed State inspection.

• Like 3

If that's what you're looking for then check out

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Silverado/P-P-Harness13/Foglamp-Harness3/

Might want to give them a call.

They make custom wiring harnesses for GM vehicles and they offer two harnesses one will automatically turn on the fogs with the parking lights, low and high beam but retain normal DRL operation .....and one that will automatically turn on the fogs with only the parking lights and low beams but retain normal DRL operation. My Camaro did not come with fog lamps and yearly inspection station indicated that fogs lit on high beam, whether or not with a defeat switch, was an automatic fail....further, disconnecting or removing the bulbs was not an option because all installed lights must function. Gen5diy sold both versions wither with factory fogs with the harness or the harness itself for existing fogs, the plug in harness connects to the existing harness(es) with no cutting or splicing using GM connectors and self contained relays. A simple plug and play install with no fooling around and no jamming external components into plugs or sockets, 100% reversible.......worth a few bucks, looks like a professional install and eliminates the possibility of screwing up something with a wrong connection or a shorted out external component. Using their harness my Camaro now has fogs that turn on automatically with the parking lights and low beam only, off on high beam without having to throw a switch and easily passed State inspection.

Thanks so much. I called and he's going to get back to me in the AM with a price

• 5 weeks later...

no tools needed really, Just get one of the diodes from Radio Shack or order 100 from amazon for 4 bucks.

I pulled the brown plug out(squeez the tab and pull, comes out very easily). Stick the side of the diode with the white line in the 22 slot and stick the other side in the 10 slot. They are fairly close together, the 22 is 2 slots up from the 10. I'll get a picture but I haven't had luck posting pictures on this forum, the filesize is always too big.

6c280c79-d670-4d20-94f0-dfdd92a90fe2_zps

Thanks so much. After re-reading your post I figured what I was doing wrong. Works perfectly. They only come on when auto headlights are activated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gary.smedley