Change from Big Tow to regular mirrors

When I changed mine to DL3 from the factory tow mirrors I had to change both door harnesses to get them to function correctly. I have a 2015 LTZ with the max tow..

Sidewayz! As stated here. Just looking out, would be nice and cheaper if don't have to change them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you confirmed this before you get door apart and everything hooked up? I would think you would need the new harnesses to make everything function as should. I'm not expert but even the one listed above that went from tow to regular had to go with new harnesses. If it was just plug and play I wouldn't need new harnesses to go from the regular mirrors to the tow. Maybe Pgamboa can confirm as he has been studying these harnesses.

Due to content differences between DL3 and Tow Mirrors, you will need new harnesses.

Here's why:

DL3 Mirrors - Have Auto Dim (Driver's Side only) and Puddle Lamps. Tow Mirrors don't.

Tow Mirrors - Have Park Lamps and Courtesy Lamps, DL3s don't.

Unfortunately, these features share the same pin slot location (Pin # 1 & # 2) on the square X510/X610 connector on the mirror.

So - it you install DL3 Harnesses onto a Tow Mirror, your Park Lamp will act as a Puddle Lamp, and your Courtesy Lamp will not work because it will be pinned to the Auto Dim Circuit.

And vice versa if you go the other way.

Aftermarket is looking to make corrections to that list...

My aftermarket tow mirrors have all of the same options minus auto dim which could be worked in.

As stated above though all is correct. You must change the two door harnesses if you want the correct functionality of whichever mirrors you are wanting to run.

Due to content differences between DL3 and Tow Mirrors, you will need new harnesses.

Here's why:

DL3 Mirrors - Have Auto Dim (Driver's Side only) and Puddle Lamps. Tow Mirrors don't.

Unfortunately, these features share the same pin slot location (Pin # 1 & # 2) on the square X510/X610 connector on the mirror.

So - it you install DL3 Harnesses onto a Tow Mirror, your Park Lamp will act as a Puddle Lamp, and your Courtesy Lamp will not work because it will be pinned to the Auto Dim Circuit.

Here's why:

Thank for the explanation on this. I figured that was correct but wanted to make sure. Was trying to save a man the extra time.

Aftermarket is looking to make corrections to that list...

My aftermarket tow mirrors have all of the same options minus auto dim which could be worked in.

As stated above though all is correct. You must change the two door harnesses if you want the correct functionality of whichever mirrors you are wanting to run.

If they could just separate the pin slots from that stinking X510/X610 connector instead of sharing it based on options, we'd be in business. There is definitively enough slots on the X500/X600 connector to accommodate.

If they could just separate the pin slots from that stinking X510/X610 connector instead of sharing it based on options, we'd be in business. There is definitively enough slots on the X500/X600 connector to accommodate.

As it stands that is what they did. You have to wire your own cargo and clearance lamp light. I need to find where the running lamp power goes into the door harness at the door jam.

As it stands that is what they did. You have to wire your own cargo and clearance lamp light. I need to find where the running lamp power goes into the door harness at the door jam.

I stopped referring to the lights as "Clearance" and "Cargo" only because the Upfitter manual calls them out as Park Lamps and Courtesy Lamps. I get them confused.

According to the 2015-2017 Upfitter schematics:

Driver's Side - Left Park Lamp Control

Pin # 1 on X510 (Mirror Connector) goes to Pin # 11 on the X500 (Door Connector)

Driver's Side - Exterior Courtesy Lamp Control:

Pin # 2 on the X510 (Mirror Connector) goes to Pin # 9 on the X500 (Door Connector).

You'll also need to confirm you have the pins on the BODY side of the X500.

Looks like Passenger Side schematics are identical pin assignments.

X510 Connector

b894ece609bee4d6905e4463d4ed801b.png

X500 Connector

000d3faf7d21dbded2d6ac6fc7e06446.png

X500 BODY Side Connector

2ce63893e83926ecb696b71dadf93a1f.jpg

Okay. The pins are present because I've had OEM tow Mirrors and DL3 mirrors on my truck with appropriate harnesses for both. Just needed to know where. Will make wiring the tow mirror park lamp easier. Right now I have it tied into the dimmer for the window switch power.

Took the minivan to our local dealer today and drove a Silverado with the dl3 mirrors. Made up my mind; she can learn to drive with the tow mirrors or driver her van all the time! I find them much more useful and offer much more view of the sides while driving and avoiding people in my blind spot. So with that being said I'm keeping my tow mirrors.

Took the minivan to our local dealer today and drove a Silverado with the dl3 mirrors. Made up my mind; she can learn to drive with the tow mirrors or driver her van all the time! I find them much more useful and offer much more view of the sides while driving and avoiding people in my blind spot. So with that being said I'm keeping my tow mirrors.

Good choice!

Have you confirmed this before you get door apart and everything hooked up? I would think you would need the new harnesses to make everything function as should. I'm not expert but even the one listed above that went from tow to regular had to go with new harnesses. If it was just plug and play I wouldn't need new harnesses to go from the regular mirrors to the tow. Maybe Pgamboa can confirm as he has been studying these harnesses.

Just for reference I went from tow mirrors without power fold but had LED reverse trailer spots and turn signals to standard DL8 mirrors they were plug and play without any needed harness on my max tow nht 2016 LT

Archived