Bed rail lighting. Harness plug end?

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can get the correct pins and or pins and plug end for the Led harness that plugs in under the bed for the Factory bed rail lights?? Just got this all installed with an OEM harness. But the end that plugs into the junction box is a 6 pin oval plug. The one that cam on the harness is an 8pin oval? Im thinking i got the wrong harness number? Difference between 1500 and 2500HD maybe?

Would be quick and easy just to change out the plug end etc.

Thanks for any help!

GM changed the plug in 2016 (I have no idea why). There may also be a difference between 1500/2500HD but I know for sure even on the 1500's the plug changed. If you do a forum search there are some threads discussing the change.

Also, mine is a 2016 3500HD for reference.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Yep thats just like mine. Have you noticed that the bed lights go out when you apply the brakes?? While in reverse with the cargo lights on etc?

That sounds like a bad ground.

Check every thing and grounds are good. The lights go out completely when the brakes are applied. This harness only has ground and power. Located side buy just like the picture in the previous post. However the plug on the truck side does have 3 pins. One ground and 2 power? Maybe i should swap it out to the other pin?

So no one elses truck does this?

Thanks.

Edited by 2016HD

I used two small spades, drilled out the plug. Give some slack so you can plug them in( I made mine snug) then once you slide the plug over, put a little RTV in the holes. Not too hard and cheap.

028dfb2f0d0bf0ba956301ac17425b16.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Could you tell me what side the power and grounds are on? referenced from the squeeze part of the plug? Thanks.

Installed the kit on my truck. The harness plugs into the bank of plugs under the spare tire. Remove spare tire and when looking you will see a dummy plug on the left facing towards the ground. Plug your wiring harness in there after dummy plug is removed. The lights work great especially with a tonneau cover on the bed.

Ive installed the kit. However the kit i received had the wrong plug end on it! I used the dummy plug and just Transferred the pins from the wrong plug to the dummy factory plug etc. However. There is 3 pins on the truck harness. I now have them working correctly. But the picture that was posted above is the wrong pin connection on my 16. On my truck the power and ground or opposite corners. Not directly above each other. They are working great now. But I wonder why there is a circuit tied into the brakes??

Yep thats just like mine. Have you noticed that the bed lights go out when you apply the brakes?? While in reverse with the cargo lights on etc?

The bed lights and cargo light above the rear window will turn off whenever the truck is put in gear. This is by design and is controlled by the BCM. I hate it!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm wanting to add aftermarket lights to my box as I've heard that the OEM ones aren't very bright however I was looking for an easy way to integrate them to the truck, What size of female connectors did you use to create your plug from the dummy cap?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, 2016HD said:

Ive installed the kit. However the kit i received had the wrong plug end on it! I used the dummy plug and just Transferred the pins from the wrong plug to the dummy factory plug etc. However. There is 3 pins on the truck harness. I now have them working correctly. But the picture that was posted above is the wrong pin connection on my 16. On my truck the power and ground or opposite corners. Not directly above each other. They are working great now. But I wonder why there is a circuit tied into the brakes??

Can you share the pin out if you happen to remember?