Running Board Clips

I just installed my GM nerf bars yesterday. Came with no instructions, but I had a bunch of these clips left over (see below). Most of the holes were threaded and I can't see anyway these clips would go in. I think just the very end one was able to fit one of these clips, as well as all the mounting points on the bottom of the rocker panels.

Is this normal or did I screw something up??

Thanks!

IMG_7792_zpsyc7jz0v0.jpg

• Like 1

I just installed my GM nerf bars yesterday. Came with no instructions, but I had a bunch of these clips left over (see below). Most of the holes were threaded and I can't see anyway these clips would go in. I think just the very end one was able to fit one of these clips, as well as all the mounting points on the bottom of the rocker panels.

Is this normal or did I screw something up??

Thanks!

IMG_7792_zpsyc7jz0v0.jpg

I had to pick some of those up for my Factory running boards. My truck didn't come with boards and the holes had plastic plugs where these went. If your boards are secured with all bolts, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of is if each spot where the bolt secures on might have that plastic plug covered in the rubber undercoating they initially sprayed on the truck, except the last one. It didn't look like it but is a thought.

The only thing I can think of is if each spot where the bolt secures on might have that plastic plug covered in the rubber undercoating they initially sprayed on the truck, except the last one. It didn't look like it but is a thought.

This was exactly the case with a friend who added factory boards to his new truck

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

There was open holes for the clips for the upper brackets, the plugs were just beside those open holes and allow for the insertion of the clips. He did indeed dig out the plugs, install the clips, and bolt up the upper mounts

There was open holes for the clips for the upper brackets, the plugs were just beside those open holes and allow for the insertion of the clips. He did indeed dig out the plugs, install the clips, and bolt up the upper mounts

Great... Well, that would explain it then, thanks.

Do you think there's any issue if I didn't install those clips? It's basically 3 missing from the upper mounts. All the bottom ones are on and one on the very rear upper one. Digging out the undercoating seems like a PITA as well as open it up to potential flaking/rust issues.

Great... Well, that would explain it then, thanks.

Do you think there's any issue if I didn't install those clips? It's basically 3 missing from the upper mounts. All the bottom ones are on and one on the very rear upper one. Digging out the undercoating seems like a PITA as well as open it up to potential flaking/rust issues.

Yeah... I do. You're loosing out on the rigidity of the steps these extra bolts provide. I don't feel rust will be an issue.

Yeah... I do. You're loosing out on the rigidity of the steps these extra bolts provide. I don't feel rust will be an issue.

Well I've installed all the bolts; all 8 per side. It's just 3 of the clips I don't have installed. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Well I've installed all the bolts; all 8 per side. It's just 3 of the clips I don't have installed. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

That's interesting, as those upper holes were so large, so as to accommodate the clips, that there was no way a bolt could be screwed in. I wonder if the clips were already installed, and then the plastic plugs were put back in place in the larger, clip installation hole. I would think that plug would go back in easily with those clips in place.

That's interesting, as those upper holes were so large, so as to accommodate the clips, that there was no way a bolt could be screwed in. I wonder if the clips were already installed, and then the plastic plugs were put back in place in the larger, clip installation hole. I would think that plug would go back in easily with those clips in place.

Well I know on the end one there was definitely that large hole (which would have had a plug in it initially) and then a small hole beside it for the bolt to go through. I would expect the other 3 holes had the same layout but were probably covered in that undercoating. The bolt holes were all visible though. If I had 3 bolts I couldn't put in on each side I could totally see what you meant earlier by them being loose and unstable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...