Took Truck To Silver Lake Sand Dunes

SkiDooNick700

Hi guys.

Took my truck out to the dunes here in MI. What a blast, especially on the quads. I must admit, the truck did a lot better than I thought it would especially with the Goodyear LS2s lol. Aired down to about 15psi, I was kind of worried about breaking the bead or whatever. My dad was doing a service call for a guy whose son has a '14 or '15 High Country and he ended up messing up two of his tires - assuming he broke the bead as they wouldn't hold air. Luckily GM replaced under warranty lol.

I didn't bother attempting "test hill" in this truck as I just didn't want to take the risk, especially with lack of leveling kit, although I did see a stock Sierra on 22s get up and over while out on the quad. Easily went up both sides of "sunset hill" or whatever it's called for those that are familiar with this place. But yeah overall very happy with how it performed being stock as hell.

I also found out that the electric fans run even once you turn off the ignition if she gets too hot. My trans was around 190 but I quickly went to restart the truck after I noticed the fans still running and the temp gauge was a couple ticks over 210. I let it idle for a few mins with the hood open to keep the fluids cycling to cool off. With an air temp of around 65 degrees and the cool Lake Michigan breeze that never stops blowing, it cooled off quickly.

I removed the front air dam too to avoid any possibility of plowing sand with it. I didn't notice any substantial loss of mpg without it on the highway drive, maybe 1mpg like others have said. I'll be putting it back on for now so its one less thing laying around.

Lastly, that's my dads '17 Ram 2500 w/ 6.4L and 4.10s. I must admit, the engine has pretty good pull... torquey.

Few pics, because who doesn't like to look!

20170627_213313_zps7wurm4uk.jpg

20170627_204854_zps9hpu7m6d.jpg

20170627_204820_zpsiqnkywvt.jpg

20170627_204317_zpsnqqvbjgi.jpg

20170627_203831_zpsnqmwafjs.jpg

20170627_134831_zpsnuyj2cxi.jpg

20170627_104645_zpsxmicipxw.jpg

20170627_104529_zpsqdzpga6k.jpg

20170627_103535_zps707ie0gl.jpg

Looks like a great trip. Always considered going up from central Ohio, going to have to hit it before the end of summer.

How did you attach the flag to you front bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely my favorite vacation spot in MI that isn't our cottage. Cool little beach town and it's mostly just trucks and jeeps, I love it. If you need a recommendation on where to stay, I would recommend Silver Sands Resort. Great people, good prices, good rooms. If you need something a little more modern and up to date, Dunes Waterfront Resort would be the place to choose, although its going to cost you more $. I've stayed both places and it's just not worth the extra cash to stay at Dunes Waterfront imo.

The flag is attached to the tow hook using a $17 mount I bought at Silver Lake Buggy Rentals. Basically two pieces of steel with two bolts. Don't know how to describe it but basically its designed so a bolt goes on the inside and outside of the tow hook and so it clamps down on the tow hook as you tighten the bolts. Then there is a hole drilled on the end of the one piece so you can put the flag pole thru.

Is that flag required?

Yea, before you enter the dunes there is a bar hanging off a little hut that a DNR officer is usually in/standing by checking each vehicle going in. Your flag must touch the bar, I think it's like 9 or 10ft up at least. It makes a huge difference in visibility in regards to going up and down hills... you'll know when someone is about to be coming up over a hill from the opposite side.

After 3 sticker-type permits, a flag, and mount, you're already at like $100 before even getting in LOL. Obviously the sticker-type permits are just a once a year cost. :-)

Does it have to be on the front? Some cool hitch mounts out there. I thought Ca. was bad. Here people just go. I remember years ago here everyone had a dune marker. Nowadays don't think it's enforced.

It depends on the vehicle. For our trucks, yes.

I'm curious, are accidents a "somewhat common" occurrence out there? I'm not aware of the size of the dunes out there, but if I'm not mistaken a lot of the dunes/ORV areas out west are a heck of a lot bigger than our Dune area here.

An excerpt from their regulations..

A person shall not:

(7) Operate a vehicle requiring seat belts without a warning flag mounted and extending over the front-most portion of the vehicle. Vehicles not requiring seat belts shall mount the warning flag on the rear of the vehicle. Vehicle operators shall comply with all of the following requirements:

(a) The warning flag shall be mounted on a staff that is securely bolted, welded, or secured to the vehicle. The warning flag shall maintain a minimum 10-foot height at standstill and a minimum 8-foot height under motion.

(b) The warning flag shall be mounted on the top-most end of the staff. The flag shall be rectangular, international orange in color, solid material, with a minimum length on the supporting side of five inches and a minimum length on the base side of 10 inches.

Usually holiday weekends when alcohol is involved. For the most part rare. Those regs I never seen enforced but sandrails,dune buggies, quads etc. fly them for common sense. Motorcycles are exempt. It can get crazy.

Does silver lakes have an area to air back up or did you drag along a compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free air is available at the "Welcome Center" of the dune area which is maybe a 1/4 mile away from the entry to the dune parking/staging area. If I remember correctly there are like over 15 stations to fill up at.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived