Rear U-Joint 98 s10 2.2 2 wheel drive

Hi,

So I replaced my rear u joint... Went well and it works wonderfully! Was checking to make sure nothing loosened up and noticed just the slightest click when I move it side to side on the shaft bearings, not on the differential side though. Do I need to worry? All parts are in their place and the rings are snapped tight.

Did you bend (deform) the ears on the shaft removing the old one?. If they get spread you'll have some play since the this ujoint uses an internal "C" locking clip

I was hoping this is not what happened. I was afraid it might have been. Although I was careful not to, the old joint was in really tight and I had to hammer on it. Does this mean a new drive shaft?

Thanks

I'm just throwing the bent ears out as something to look into. Look at the yoke/u-joint after taking it off. It could be a poor quality or defective u-joint. But bending the ears on the yoke is a lot easier today than it was 30 years ago. You just describe a click. How much is it actually moving?

I'm curious, did this shaft have the plastic ring injection holding the old joint? I've seen people take a torch to them to heat the plastic and in the process they soften the driven shaft and it bends a little easier.

I'd take it out and examine it closely. Perhaps replace the joint with one of a different brand (not all joints are exactly the same). I guess you could measure the yoke ear spread on the other end of the shaft and compare the two readings. Ultimately you may need to visit a drive line shop and have them look at it and try to balance. Even if the yoke ears are totally messed up they can cut of the end and weld a new yoke setup on it

Archived