Buying a Used Silverado 1500?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the market to get a Silverado. I’ve got my eye on a 2013 Silverado extended cab, and I was wondering what I may be getting myself into, especially considering it has 74k miles. My mechanic friend mentioned that the 07-13 have issues with AFM and the lifters going out, which is a steep expense. Any other known problems with these trucks? With it being one of the later models in the generation, I imagine most kinks are worked out?

Ive also looked into getting a CPO 14-15 Silverado, so that I can maintain some form of warranty, however Ive only seem the 4.3 V6 version within my budget, with similar mileage (50-75k). I plan to tow fairly often, maybe 15-20 times a year, at about 5500-6000lbs, and I don’t know how well it will do with the V6. Nonetheless, they are still on the very high end of my budget, which is around 325/month or 19-20k. I’m in my final semester of college, so I’m trying to keep expenses low.

thanks for any and all help

Hard question to answer IMO.

Without seeing the trucks your looking at in person.

V8 IMO for towing.

My 2012 has been great. Bought with 41 K miles, 11/2015, now at 60 k miles.

:happysad:

I have an 08 with 135k miles V8 and it's been a very solid truck with very few issues for the mileage. Like has been said above it's rather difficult to know without actually seeing the trucks that you're speaking of. 

Doing a search on here will give you loads of information on anything that you're looking for though. Welcome to the forum too by the way. :thumbs:

28 minutes ago, GPGuy said:

I have an 08 with 135k miles V8 and it's been a very solid truck with very few issues for the mileage. Like has been said above it's rather difficult to know without actually seeing the trucks that you're speaking of. 

Doing a search on here will give you loads of information on anything that you're looking for though. Welcome to the forum too by the way. :thumbs:

Great to hear! Thank you

33 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Hard question to answer IMO.

Without seeing the trucks your looking at in person.

V8 IMO for towing.

My 2012 has been great. Bought with 41 K miles, 11/2015, now at 60 k miles.

I was thinking the V8 as well. For reference, this is the truck I’m looking at. 

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/2013-chevrolet-silverado-1500/6316667267.html

This is a personal choice and you have to decide if this is the truck you want.

Does  the seller have maintenance records?

If the drive line hasn't been serviced it will need that done. Transmission, differential. 2 wheel drive?

How are the brakes? 

On October 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM, diyer2 said:

This is a personal choice and you have to decide if this is the truck you want.

Does  the seller have maintenance records?

If the drive line hasn't been serviced it will need that done. Transmission, differential. 2 wheel drive?

How are the brakes? 

Good advice ^^ 

Have your mechanic look at it make sure everything look good underneath. Check the leaf springs too because I believe that year was included in the ones that would have an issue. Although if the truck has always been down there it may not be an issue as I think it tended to happen in the rust belt where I am. lol 

From what I can see it looks to be a well maintained truck. 

I just inquired about any service documentation or vehicle history on the truck. I believe it is 2WD. The price does seem to be fair when compared to similar models for sale, but a quick KBB shows it around 18k - location, location, location. Will definitely check out the underside for rust, and the leaf springs. Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it

Archived