New guy with a question

Grind383

Hello everyone, I just recently bought a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 4WD. I'm loving this truck, just got out of a mercedes e55amg. I'm not new to the silverado, I purchased a brand new 08 Silverado back in the end of 07 and still have my 97 crew cab dually 3500. I'm curious if my truck has been leveled already. I measured my wheel wells, and the front is at 38" and the rear is 38 1/2". I know that is sitting pretty much level now but, did it come this way as the LTZ Z71 or was an aftermarket leveling kit installed. I've looked under it and I'm not seeing any spacers or lower leveling kit. So do the LTZ Z71 or Z71's come pretty close to level? 

20171105_120524.jpg

26 minutes ago, Grind383 said:

Thanks for the response. I'm just looking to get a little more tire under it. Thinking 275/65 or 285's

Factory rake is somewhere between 2-3". I can go measure my truck tomorrow but I bet someone would chime in by then. 275s should fit without rubbing and if it is lifted than 285s will definitely fit. Check what shocks do you have? If they're ranchos then those are stock for z71 but if they aren't then that is a possibility where your level is coming from. Should post some pics of the struts and all that.

It definitely had some "suspension" work.  I am surprised this wasn't addressed at time of sale.  If you purchased from a dealer have them inspect and ensure  all is good and that alignment is correct.  If you purchased privately then go to your favorite alignment shop for a free or small charge inspection!

I did buy it from a dealer, it's a larger used car dealership. They didn't even know it had the remote start lol. I should have more time to get under it this weekend and see if I can find anything.

9 hours ago, Grind383 said:

I did buy it from a dealer, it's a larger used car dealership. They didn't even know it had the remote start lol. I should have more time to get under it this weekend and see if I can find anything.

You should be able to see a spacer or a leveling shock with the front wheels turned and looking without getting under your truck.  Take it to an alignment shop or GM service centre and have it professionally inspected.  Your truck's suspension was modified and for peace of mind and your safety check to see that the work was done properly.

14 hours ago, Donstar said:

You should be able to see a spacer or a leveling shock with the front wheels turned and looking without getting under your truck.  Take it to an alignment shop or GM service centre and have it professionally inspected.  Your truck's suspension was modified and for peace of mind and your safety check to see that the work was done properly.

Good advice,  thank you sir

1 hour ago, Grind383 said:

Good advice,  thank you sir

With you saying that they're the ranchos, unless they're the quicklift struts then you should see a spacer above it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-Quicklift-Struts-RS5000X-Shocks/dp/B01B2DY1GC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510815610&sr=8-1&keywords=rancho+quicklift

The stock ranchos should only have like 4 visible spring coils things on it. I don't know how to explain it, but there isn't a lot of spring there. While the quicklifts have quite a few more rungs? visible. Whatever you want to call them. I'm not good at terminology.

So it does have a spacer on the bottom for sure, so now would a 275/70 or 285 fit without rubbing? and if I were to buy new wheels what offset would get them a little further out -12 or -18. I don't want them too far out past the fender.

20171118_110945.jpg

So how would I figure out the height of the level? I know the height of the front wheelwell is at 38", I don't have a baseline to go off of since it came this way when I bought the truck. 

My factory height Silverado with the stock 275/55/R20 rubber is 37" front and 39" rear from ground to top of the wheel well so 2" factory rake. My guess would be you have a 1.5 inch level kit, biased on your .5 inch current rake

Archived