Shift linkage issue

Vtguy

To start, I have a 2002 2500hd 6.0 4l80e 4x4.

i can't shift down to 1 on the lever. I've been messing with it for over a week, still no luck.

so far I've changed the shift cable, shift control mechanism on the column, and the arm that attached to the trans.  None of these solved anything.

my next step is to change out the black box the arm attaches to on the trans, I believe it's called the safety neutral switch.  

Does anybody have any insight for me? 

So if you can manually shift the lever on the transmission to 1, but the shift lever doesn't, then the problem would be before the transmission.

Maybe disconnect the shift cable at the steering wheel, and see if the shift lever can go into 1 properly.  If it does, then there's a problem with the shift cable (not adjusted correctly at the split point?), if it doesn't, then something is wrong with the shift lever/steering column.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's current to my issue. I am having a similar issue with a 2001 Silverado LT 1500.  I can either get 1st, or park. But not both. I have adjusted the "mid point" thread by thread. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Have installed  new cables and new column shift mechanism. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My issue is not being able to shift from any drive gears to park and remove the key after shutting off the engine.  I was able to force the lever up and down until it went into park.  Worried if I got back in driving again it would lock up again.  Any thoughts about how to adjust or fix the problem?  Help !!