Bad vent smell after starting up

I've just started noticing this in my 2016 Silverado with 18k miles.  When I start it up in the morning after sitting overnight there is a bad smell coming from the vents.  Note: we're in some cold weather right now in the north land.  What is the fix for this?  Will the dealer do anything under the bumper to bumper?

I'm relatively new to the K2, but it previous vehicles, the cabin filters never lasted more than a year.  Even in sedans that only saw pavement.  Annual replacement or eveness if you are in dusty or dirty environments would be normal.

41 minutes ago, Roadking01 said:

do you have the auto climate ?  maybe moisture in  vents .. try running ac  but temp at comfortable level to stay warm ...

Yes I do have auto climate and have been using it lately.  Temps have been fairly cold. 

Is this normal though to have such a bad smell so early on?  Will the dealership do anything if I bring it up?  Under the bumper to bumper I really shouldn't have to throw things at it this soon besides oil changes and maybe an air filter for the engine..

Is this normal though to have such a bad smell so early on?  Will the dealership do anything if I bring it up?  Under the bumper to bumper I really shouldn't have to throw things at it this soon besides oil changes and maybe an air filter for the engine..

It’s a cabin air filter. The warranty won’t cover it. Think of it this way, the sooner it gets dirty and needs replacement, the less of that has made it into your lungs. Check it out and see if it’s even the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

It’s a cabin air filter. The warranty won’t cover it. Think of it this way, the sooner it gets dirty and needs replacement, the less of that has made it into your lungs. Check it out and see if it’s even the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I'll be sure to check it out.  I appreciate the replies!!

This air filter will be treated the way the engine air filter is in the warranty.  Consumable items like brake pads, filters, shocks are not covered.  There are time when some of these items would get covered like obvious defects but not normally.  My guess is that your filter got wet and is now moldy which makes it smell.  It's also possible the moisture got on the heater or ac coil which is cousing the smell.  Change the filter and find out.

1 hour ago, nluchau said:

I've just started noticing this in my 2016 Silverado with 18k miles.  When I start it up in the morning after sitting overnight there is a bad smell coming from the vents.  Note: we're in some cold weather right now in the north land.  What is the fix for this?  Will the dealer do anything under the bumper to bumper?

Rodent is the first thing that came to my mind.  I've gone two and a half years with no strange smells or a new filter.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask the dealership to have a look. If it is a critter, it is worth the money they may charge!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

Rodent is the first thing that came to my mind.  I've gone two and a half years with no strange smells or a new filter.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask the dealership to have a look. If it is a critter, it is worth the money they may charge!

Definitely, I had a big nest in mine.    Dead mouse is a pretty distinctive smell lol