Cheating at the Olympics?

Been watching the Olympics the last couple of days and kind of taken an interest in Curling. You know, shuffleboard on ice. Seems like a nice easy going game, someone "throws the rock" and a couple of others polish the ice with brooms to make it change direction to get it closer to the center of the circle or knock the other team's rock out of the circle.

Being a little naive at my old age, one would figure it would be really hard to cheat.

Then today there was a big announcement: The Olympic Athletes from Russia mixed doubles team was disqualified and forfeited the bronze medal for DOPING.

Why on earth do you need to dope for a game like that?

Holy crap 

Take it from an avid curler, Sweeping is very cardio intensive. The sweepers are out there on the ice in just short sleeved shirts for a reason. They come off sweating like crazy. Any advantage you can get in the physical demands of the sport is a plus. Gone are the days when most curlers were overweight drinkers and smokers! As I now mostly play at the Skip position I miss the heart pounding sweeping required from the front end of the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived