this might sound stupid, but hear me out

This might sound really ignorant, but hear me out before you decide.

I am looking to invest about $250 under the seat of my 14 crew cab.  I've been looking at some cheaper boxes built for dual subs and been looking at the specs of some lesser expensive subs, they dont seem to match the boxes being offered very well.  It seems as all the dual sub boxes give approx .75 feet per sub, but most 10 or 12" subs require 1.3-1.5 minimum volume for efficiency, most better subs requiring more.  Does anyone make a box that gives the required internal volume for a "lesser expensive" but quality sub for a single sub installation?  

Do you recommend using the supplied underseat boxes (no particular brand, we all know what exists on amazon, ebay, local stereo shops, etc) and just slamming 2 subs in them and go?  Or would it be preferred to get one of those dual sub boxes, close off one opening, and use total internal volume to suit one sub more efficiently/effectively?  

I'm looking to invest about $250 total, box and sub, under the backseat of my silverado.  I'm not overly concerned about losing the space, retaining the space, etc.  But I'm pretty much at a mind-block with all the available options.

I plan to power my underseat sub setup with an older zapco 500.1 that I have had for years and have been using successfully in my past vehicles.  I know there's more "modern" and more efficient power packages available, but I still have this one and it works quite well, upgrading is not an option at this point.

• 1 month later...

Sundown subs makes subs in 10" and 12" with 300-500rms and 4.5" mounting depth. Very low box volume requires and no air vent on bottom of magnet. And they are not cheap or low quality subs. They are great subs and very powerful. 

You could do one 500rms sub or 2 300rms subs. To say in that low of a budget I would go with just one. And cheap boxes can be had everywhere. If you know how to build a box a sheet of MDF is like $30. carpet is $10. 

Check the ohm load on the amp and match it up with the a nice Dual coil.