Another black screen on a 2016 Silverado

Hi guys.  I read most of the threads on dead displays which were very educational but didn’t help me. So here’s what going on with mine. 

Truck has 42xxx miles and the display has never been an issue until yesterday. I entered an address into the myChevrolet nav app before I got inside.  When I got inside put key in and no display , no radio sound.  Tried turning off truck and restarting and no luck. Checked turn signal and headlights and they worked so I drove home about 100 miles. I pulled fuse to see if it would work and when I did the screen booted up with the mylink logo or whatever the boot screen is and then it went blank. Tried a few times with same results. Next I disconnected battery. Same results. It was late so I left it disconnected over night and no change. So I started digging through the forums and found an discussion on dash grounds. I looked at mine this morning and couldn’t find any faults on either side. I pulled radio all connections were good and I pulled glove boxes and checked there too. No changes. Any other advice?  I do have the geico warranty option it’s a $250 deductible but I also have to do vacuum pump for brake system and that’s another $250 deductible. It’s frustrating that these both happened a few miles out of warranty. With all these common issues GM should take care of them under warranty. I could understand if I had 120000 miles but just over. Anyway any advice on this would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

d

On 5/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, Bigd1 said:

Deleted - Pulled fuse solved my similar problem.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to bring truck in for repair yesterday. Received call a few hours later that they are ordering a new display and it will take about a week. I asked if they were sure if that was the issue as my backup camera displays fine for the first few minutes. They were like we have to start somewhere. Glad the Geico MBI is covering everything $250 deductible. I’ll give an update when they swap out. Hope it’s a good update. ?

• 2 weeks later...

They replaced screen and it did not fix problem. They had truck for about 5 hours ?. Told me they have to order hmi module.  Had it replaced today and problem is fixed. The invoice was around $1600. Thank the lord my deductible with geico is only $250. Hope that’s the end of this issue. 

Are these I06 systems that are doing it? 

I took delivery on a 8 month old 2017 HC with 13k on it yesterday. While messing around with options (seats, mirrors, etc) I ended up with a black screen. Shut it off, waited a few minutes and still black.

Googled the issue and someone mentioned calling Onstar and telling them what it was doing and have them do a reset.  I did that and Onstar made it work. Required shutting vehicle off, locking doors and whatever they did. Had to wait 5 minutes before restarting.

I noticed this is not common to the trucks only when I was searching for the issue I found about every model listed.  Even a dealer had a video on how to press the left button on the mirror and then pressing it again to hang up.

Mine is the I06 unit.

On 5/23/2018 at 4:53 PM, Bigd1 said:

They replaced screen and it did not fix problem. They had truck for about 5 hours ?. Told me they have to order hmi module.  Had it replaced today and problem is fixed. The invoice was around $1600. Thank the lord my deductible with geico is only $250. Hope that’s the end of this issue. 

So basically the dealer just committed fraud on your extended warranty if they billed them for the replaced screen and then replaced the HMI module and billed them for that as well. The HMI was the issue, not the screen. 

• 1 year later...

2016 Canyon (diesel, but not relevant to this problem), started with not being able to lock with remote, one quick low battery light that didn't come back on. Drove to and from San Diego the next day and the remote couldn't lock the truck, but that was it.  Stopped truck and tried to restart to adjust parallel parking, screen was black and remote can't lock windows TRUCK BASICALLY DISABLED.  Next morning planned to call a tow, but it started, part way there Steering Assist Disabled warning, Drive with Caution light came on and off.  Drove it to Allen GMC (never go there if you have a choice!!)  kept it running while the service rep told me there would be 2 separate diagnostic fees and if there was a problem covered by my warranty, I wouldn't have to pay one of them.  They would not test my battery, but that was included in one of the diagnostics and the LABOR for installing a new battery would be deducted from the fee and I would have to pay the rest.  I drove it straight to my Big O in Costa Mesa where they diagnosed it for free (no problems showed).  I bought a new truck battery and changed both remote batteries.  Last night, 3 weeks later...same problem, black screen, can't turn key, truck disabled.  I had it towed to the Costa Mesa GMC and Ubered home with groceries and stuff I had from errands (not relevant, but you can imagine the frustration).  It is now almost 11 am and my service rep was going straight to my truck an hour and a half ago....