Rusted Frame Bed Problems

My son bought a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 in February.  He, however, did not check the undercarriage until about a month ago when he noticed the bed was leaning toward the cab.  The frame is rusted out.  I have since learned this is a major issue on these trucks.  Now the bed is leaning against the cab and so far 1 body shop has said the truck is not safe to drive.    Now I need to find out if he has any recourse and if he does what it is.   Any help would be appreciated.  And not "buyer beware"  as I thought that was the case until I started looking further into it, just wanted to see if anyone else has taken steps against a car lot, GMC, or what to get something done.  

GM isn't responsible, you are way beyond any warranty and aren't the original owner.

If you bought from a private seller, get a lawyer...doubt you will have any recourse.

If you bought from a dealer, take it back...it should have some warranty unless it was bought "as-is", get a lawyer.

You really have an uphill battle, you had the option to have it looked at and/or walk away.

Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear...it's nearly 20 years old, could almost be considered a classic in some states.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

From other posts I have read, yes it is a GM problem, this is not the only truck.  There was no buyer guide on the truck but was sold with a warranty but only covers the engine.  And it's illegal for a dealer to sell a vehicle that is unsafe and that is where we are.  Yeah, he should had looked at it, but he didn't.  I told him he was stuck until he told me about other truck owners with the exact same issue, then I started doing research and found that it is illegal to sale a vehichle that is unsafe.  So anyway, trying to help the kid out on this 2 month old loan.

From other posts I have read, yes it is a GM problem, this is not the only truck.  There was no buyer guide on the truck but was sold with a warranty but only covers the engine.  And it's illegal for a dealer to sell a vehicle that is unsafe and that is where we are.  Yeah, he should had looked at it, but he didn't.  I told him he was stuck until he told me about other truck owners with the exact same issue, then I started doing research and found that it is illegal to sale a vehichle that is unsafe.  So anyway, trying to help the kid out on this 2 month old loan.
Since you have it all figured out, I'm out...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

Uh no lol.  Trucks is almost 20 years old.  GM will not give you anything.  Why would they?

Road salt has rusted trucks out faster.  And GM hasn't helped those owners either.  You can argue all you want but I dont think GM is to blame.  Poor maintenance and vehicle update is.  And your son for not poking his head under an old truck. 

How much did you pay for it?  What did the dealer say when you brought it up?

Definitely dont drive it.  Its really only good for scrap now.