Suspension/lift issues

Forgive me if this is long but i want to be as detailed as possible. I bought my 2015 gmc sierra all terrain used. I noticed when i bought it, the rear blocks were removed. I assumed the person before me wanted to level it so i didnt think anything about it because i planned on getting the rough country level/lift kit for it. So after installing the RC level/lift i noticed i now had reverse rake, and quite a bit (ill post a pic). The lower control arms on my truck are aluminum and i noticed the uppers are steel. Upon further research, it turns out that the upper control arms are actually rough country UC. So Anyway, to fix the reverse rake i put 3” blocks in the back, and that helped quite a bit but there is still a bit of reverse rake, and if i so much as put a sand bag in the back, it drops quite a bit. Now i understand on a leveled truck your going to have reverse rake when hauling, but i feel like its squatting too much. So one of my questions is, are the rough country control arms pushing the front of the truck up higher?? Ive never heard of someone having to put 3” blocks with the RC kit to level it out. Its quite obvious there was a lift on the truck before i bought it (which explains the blocks missing and the upper control arms). My thoughts on an easy fix would be a helper spring. I was thinking hellwig springs because there is a bit of adjustment on those (if i understand them correctly) im not too terribly concerned about ride quality, but maybe some of you folks would have some tips, tricks, advice etc... to help me out here. Amything would be appreciated. Thanks!!! 

P.S. the second pic is without the 3” blocks. 

7755C540-8D53-4CD9-9570-4CC925987510.jpeg

FDEA1654-04F9-4DE2-8233-4198EA1E9FEC.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Nasty said:

What size rc level is it?

I went with the 2.5" level/lift kit from rough country, 2.5" in the front, and 2" blocks in the back, but i ended up putting the 3" blocks ( theoretically its only supposed to bring the back up another inch, but since i didn't  have the factory blocks, it all worked out) which are supposed to replace the facoty 1" blocks. Just sucks that it had so much reverse rake that it looked goofy. I thought for sure the 3: blcoks would make it perfect

The stock block is 1.25. So you have to take into account deleting that when you put the new block in

That shouldn’t make a difference tho right? Since the RC lift comes with a 2” block and your supposed to remove the stock one anyway. I have 3” total block in the back and it’s still sagging a bit. Every other picture of a truck with the RC level/lift looks perfectly level. While mine still has that reverse rake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ddub711 said:

Does anyone have some input?

It might be helpful to post some pictures of the current components installed on the truck. If there is something that would cause the front to sit up higher one of the eagle-eyed members with more experience with lifts/levels might be able to catch it and point it out. Also post the rear set up, there might be something off with it. 

Adding a helper spring should be able to eliminate the reverse rake, and it will definitely help with the sagging. My GM leaf springs are creaking and clunking so I am highly considering replacing them. BDS makes a replacement leaf spring pack that is a little less than $450 for both sides, however, it provides 4.5" of lift to the rear at the lowest setting, which might be too much for your application. Deaver Springs also make some nice spring backs for the chevy and I believe have as little as 2" of lift and go up to 6" of lift, they are a little more expensive. If I were planning to add a helper spring, I'd personally just replace the entire leaf spring packs.

Edited by adamj2121
  • Like 1

It might be helpful to post some pictures of the current components installed on the truck. If there is something that would cause the front to sit up higher one of the eagle-eyed members with more experience with lifts/levels might be able to catch it and point it out. Also post the rear set up, there might be something off with it. 

Adding a helper spring should be able to eliminate the reverse rake, and it will definitely help with the sagging. My GM leaf springs are creaking and clunking so I am highly considering replacing them. BDS makes a replacement leaf spring pack that is a little less than $450 for both sides, however, it provides 4.5" of lift to the rear at the lowest setting, which might be too much for your application. Deaver Springs also make some nice spring backs for the chevy and I believe have as little as 2" of lift and go up to 6" of lift, they are a little more expensive. If I were planning to add a helper spring, I'd personally just replace the entire leaf spring packs.

I appreciate the input!! Very helpful! I’ll get pics up tonight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 13/05/2018 at 8:14 AM, Ddub711 said:

That shouldn’t make a difference tho right? Since the RC lift comes with a 2” block and your supposed to remove the stock one anyway. I have 3” total block in the back and it’s still sagging a bit. Every other picture of a truck with the RC level/lift looks perfectly level. While mine still has that reverse rake

If it was my truck I'd look at everything that was done cause usually guys aren't that noise high.  Maybe theres a bigger top strut space in there.  Verify your knuckles are stock etc.

Your truck should have been close to dead level before u level/lifted then?

If it was my truck I'd look at everything that was done cause usually guys aren't that noise high.  Maybe theres a bigger top strut space in there.  Verify your knuckles are stock etc.

Your truck should have been close to dead level before u level/lifted then?

With the rear blocks removed it sat maybe a half inch lower in the rear. As far as I can tell (and I’m not stupid) everything is stock up front except the upper control arms. Which are from a rough country lift. Shackles in the rear are stock also. It just seems like the front of the truck wants to shoot up and it also feels real springy up front. When I hit a bump or a dip in the road it’s real stiff feeling. Similar to (the only thing I can’t relate to) something like torsion bars on an independent front suspension truck, being tightened (torqued) too much.

1 hour ago, Ddub711 said:

With the rear blocks removed it sat maybe a half inch lower in the rear. As far as I can tell (and I’m not stupid) everything is stock up front except the upper control arms. Which are from a rough country lift. Shackles in the rear are stock also. It just seems like the front of the truck wants to shoot up and it also feels real springy up front. When I hit a bump or a dip in the road it’s real stiff feeling. Similar to (the only thing I can’t relate to) something like torsion bars on an independent front suspension truck, being tightened (torqued) too much.

Depending on the miles on the truck the rear springs may simply be showing wear so it lost the ride height a bit.  The bed could have been overloaded one too many times.  Not a huge deal just keep an eye on them.  I had a cracked leaf in my 03 once and that side sagged more.  Springy up front possible worn out shocks.

I drove an 03 ram 1500 with torsion bars and I cranked them 2" of course and theres no give to those.  Worse obviously when you crank them but that thing always rode rough.  My head would sway pretty good at times lol.  They went coil springs in 06 no wonder.  

Edited by Tyy1907

Depending on the miles on the truck the rear springs may simply be worn so it lost the ride height a bit.  Springy up front possible worn out shocks.
I drove an 03 ram 1500 with torsion bars and I cranked them 2" of course and theres no give to those.  Worse obviously when you crank them but that thing always rode rough.  My head would sway pretty good at times lol.  They went struts in 06 no wonder.  

EXACTLY!! So you know exactly what I’m talking about. I have an 05 ram also and did the exact same thing to it. Rides like shit but looks pretty bada$$ with 35’s on stock suspension. No wheel gap at all! Unlike these dang gmc/chevys with square wheel wells haha. I still love the gmc but I couldn’t part with the old dodge when I got the new one. The dodge only has 90,000 on it. Might as well hang on to it. As far as the gmc, I think you make a good point bud, there’s 86,xxx miles on it. Could be worn out leaf springs and front struts need replacing. I’m still leaving toward a quality sort of adjustable helper spring (helwig maybe?) for the back and maybe start with new shocks up front. How many miles are guys typically getting out of them? The truck is a 15 but high miles obviously. Looking at them I’m assuming they are the stock rancho shocks but who knows.

36 minutes ago, Ddub711 said:

EXACTLY!! So you know exactly what I’m talking about. I have an 05 ram also and did the exact same thing to it. Rides like shit but looks pretty bada$$ with 35’s on stock suspension. No wheel gap at all! Unlike these dang gmc/chevys with square wheel wells haha. I still love the gmc but I couldn’t part with the old dodge when I got the new one. The dodge only has 90,000 on it. Might as well hang on to it. As far as the gmc, I think you make a good point bud, there’s 86,xxx miles on it. Could be worn out leaf springs and front struts need replacing. I’m still leaving toward a quality sort of adjustable helper spring (helwig maybe?) for the back and maybe start with new shocks up front. How many miles are guys typically getting out of them? The truck is a 15 but high miles obviously. Looking at them I’m assuming they are the stock rancho shocks but who knows.

Another former Dodge guy hah.  I put 315 70 17's on my stock rims with 2" wheel spacers on my 03.  Had to be careful at the pumps guys assuming it was a diesel instead of gas.  That truck didn't owe me a thing.  I sold it with 360,000 kms on it engine and transmission untouched.  It was the 4.7.

It felt like I was flying on clouds when I got my 18 Lt z71 lol.  If u got ranchos it'll be obvious mine are red and white with the name on em.  Maybe someone else will chime in but I could see shocks being worn with that many miles on.  Rear leafs yeah they could be flattened some just keep an eye on them.  I cracked a leaf on my 03 (not the main connecting one)and it sagged that side pretty good.  It had lots of miles on it though.

Another former Dodge guy hah.  I put 315 70 17's on my stock rims with 2" wheel spacers on my 03.  Had to be careful at the pumps guys assuming it was a diesel instead of gas.  That truck didn't owe me a thing.  I sold it with 360,000 kms on it engine and transmission untouched.  It was the 4.7.
It felt like I was flying on clouds when I got my 18 Lt z71 lol.  If u got ranchos it'll be obvious mine are red and white with the name on em.  Maybe someone else will chime in but I could see shocks being worn with that many miles on.  Rear leafs yeah they could be flattened some just keep an eye on them.  I cracked a leaf on my 03 (not the main connecting one)and it sagged that side pretty good.  It had lots of miles on it though.

Dude that’s crazy. I have the exact same setup on mine. Wheel spacers and all. Even has the 4.7l, awful gas mileage, under powered pooch motor in it haha super chip helped out quite a bit but man oh man the GMC Sierra was a heck of a change, your absolutely right! Haha my brother has a 14 Sierra and his are the red and white ranchos. It’s possible the previous owner put the exact same ones back on but I doubt it. These look fairly worn. I’ll probably order some rancho 9000s or something of some sort of upgrade.

That is crazy geez!

Well what the 4.7 has going for it is it's so underpowered that it cant destroy itself that easily.  The body started to rust out on mine so I put the flares on to hide it then came the tires spacers etc.  Well there u have it there could be a lot of life left on yer old girl.  I would change the oil and within like 1500 kms it was black again.  I dont know how that motor lasted as long as it has.  This was originally about yer level and what not hah got sidetracked here.  You gotter figured out I think anyway.

Edited by Tyy1907
  • Like 1