Spare PCM for tuning?

I would like to tune my 2015 6.2 Denali, however, I don't want to void the factory warranty either.  Is is possible to get a spare computer to run the tune on, then switch it out for the stock one if I have to take it in for any warranty work?  I know this can be done on older cars, but I've only had my Denali for 2 weeks now, so I'm still learning about this particular platform :)

Thanks in advance!

I'm still unsure of all the particulars myself, but curious as well. With some of the articles I've read, it still seems the dealer would be able to tell if something was done because it probably logs an "event" of the PCM being disconnected. That's what's holding me back from tuning. I don't wish to void my lifetime powertain warranty. Maybe someone with extensive knowledge will chime in and set us straight.

Just thinking out loud, don’t have any actual knowledge about this... where is the mileage stored? I thought I’ve heard they can get it from the computer, but maybe it’s not.

I’m just imagining a scenario where the mileage goes up for the dash, but when you switch the ecm back, it finds a mismatch and flags it or something. Again, no knowledge of whether this is the case, just how I’d imagine it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to find out.  The mileage was the only indicator that I was worried about GM being able to tell, I'm sure someone has tried this or investigated this before?  

Edited by kgkern01

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 4:27 PM, kgkern01 said:

I would like to tune my 2015 6.2 Denali, however, I don't want to void the factory warranty either.  Is is possible to get a spare computer to run the tune on, then switch it out for the stock one if I have to take it in for any warranty work?  I know this can be done on older cars, but I've only had my Denali for 2 weeks now, so I'm still learning about this particular platform :)

Thanks in advance!

On 5/18/2018 at 8:37 PM, Jetmek said:

I'm still unsure of all the particulars myself, but curious as well. With some of the articles I've read, it still seems the dealer would be able to tell if something was done because it probably logs an "event" of the PCM being disconnected. That's what's holding me back from tuning. I don't wish to void my lifetime powertain warranty. Maybe someone with extensive knowledge will chime in and set us straight.

Due to the type of computers that are in use for that vehicle year, we offer our AutoCal tune option only.

The AutoCal allows you to flash the vehicle back to the factory settings when you take in for service. All the tuning is done via email, so we are not shipping computers back and forth, and we tune based off seeing your vehicle data. 

With the older vehicles keeping your computer is the only way to put it back to stock, unless you used the AutoCal as well. We can tune 98-2018 with the AutoCal. 

8 hours ago, BlackBearPerf said:

Due to the type of computers that are in use for that vehicle year, we offer our AutoCal tune option only.

The AutoCal allows you to flash the vehicle back to the factory settings when you take in for service. All the tuning is done via email, so we are not shipping computers back and forth, and we tune based off seeing your vehicle data. 

With the older vehicles keeping your computer is the only way to put it back to stock, unless you used the AutoCal as well. We can tune 98-2018 with the AutoCal. 

The only issue with flashing it with a new tune then flashing it back to stock is that it logs all previous ECM configurations, correct?  So GM would still be able to see that it had a tune then changed back after the fact, right?

On 6/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, kgkern01 said:

The only issue with flashing it with a new tune then flashing it back to stock is that it logs all previous ECM configurations, correct?  So GM would still be able to see that it had a tune then changed back after the fact, right?

We utilize multiple methods to ensure that there is no trace of the tune on the ECM and to date, have had no warranty issues with any customer that has appropriately utilized our service. Over 15,000 GM vehicles tuned.

1 hour ago, BlackBearPerf said:

We utilize multiple methods to ensure that there is no trace of the tune on the ECM and to date, have had no warranty issues with any customer that has appropriately utilized our service. Over 15,000 GM vehicles tuned.

Hmmm, interesting, I may do that then, do you do tunes to enable using E85 on the 6.2 as well?  After adding the GM sensor of course.

5 hours ago, BlackBearPerf said:

I have heard that before with other tunes on vehicles, but with a detailed scan of certain flags that are not able to be reset can tell the dealer it has been flashed outside of the factory.  Obviously you guys know more about this, so you have a more informed viewpoint, but I'd be leery of this claim without being completely certain of all GM's tricks to get out of a warranty claim.

43 minutes ago, Dr Awesome said:

I have heard that before with other tunes on vehicles, but with a detailed scan of certain flags that are not able to be reset can tell the dealer it has been flashed outside of the factory.  Obviously you guys know more about this, so you have a more informed viewpoint, but I'd be leery of this claim without being completely certain of all GM's tricks to get out of a warranty claim.

Here is a link to some more info on this topic  https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/197757-computer-access-counting/