2002 Silverado 6.0 A/C compressor model #

Justanother6slow

Question

The compressor on my 2500hd went out and I'm looking to replace it asap (Florida heat without a.c. in a black truck is hell). But its been brought to my attention that apparently there are 2 different models used for the 2002 model year trucks since GM switched it up. My truck was made 6/02. Anyone know which compressor was used during this time so I don't go buy the wrong one? Google searches haven't yielded any straight answers.

5 answers to this question

Napa pulls this guy up

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/DEO4710315

There are other models(remans, not really different) listed. Your best bet is to crawl under with a flashlight and see if you can see a part #. I can't speak to how yours is setup, but just changing the belt on mine(squeak) was a pain because it was a stretch to fit, separate from the serpentine. I'd look in the front passenger side corner(bottom) of the engine bay.The oldest truck we've got in our fleet at the moment is an '05(sold our '02 a couple years back) and that's where she's located.  I just can't remember for the life of me if the '02/'05 have separate belts, or if they're run off the serpentine. If separate, there's a little tool to be used or alot of screwing around with wrenches/flatheads getting the belt on.

15 minutes ago, Junkyard33 said:

Napa pulls this guy up

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/DEO4710315

There are other models(remans, not really different) listed. Your best bet is to crawl under with a flashlight and see if you can see a part #. I can't speak to how yours is setup, but just changing the belt on mine(squeak) was a pain because it was a stretch to fit, separate from the serpentine. I'd look in the front passenger side corner(bottom) of the engine bay.The oldest truck we've got in our fleet at the moment is an '05(sold our '02 a couple years back) and that's where she's located.  I just can't remember for the life of me if the '02/'05 have separate belts, or if they're run off the serpentine. If separate, there's a little tool to be used or alot of screwing around with wrenches/flatheads getting the belt on.

99-02 bodystyles had a separate belt for the a.c. for the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0. I'm sure the 03-06 and 07 classic used the same setup. And that's probably what I'm gonna do if I don't just take the whole thing off (which I have to do anyway).  

Everything from '96 up to 2010 and maybe beyond has used a separate belt for the A/C compressor. They're  not stretch to fit - those didn't come out until just a few years back on Subarus, and others as the years go on. They have their own little tensioner down there - always make sure that bearing is good when changing the compressor. If it's not, just change the whole tensioner. It's tiny - not very strong to begin with.

3 hours ago, Justanother6slow said:

6.0 Vortec 

These guys have good quality stuff. My second choice is NAPA. Stay away from Advance, et.al..

Pretty much everything from '96 up to the '07-up used the same HU6 compressor.

http://www.ackits.com/comp-hu6-pv4-3283