Foul Smell inside of Cab at start up

Hello -

i have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500

just recently it started to smell like urine inside the cab at start up and will last about 3-5 minutes. i changed the cabin filter this weekend, it almost fixed it.

but, it seems like it came back.

i heard there maybe mildew in the evaporator box from water not draining properly. i let the truck sit and run with the AC on and i do not see water dripping down.

is there an easy fix for this?

do you think that is what is causing the smell?

I don't recall the location of the drain tube but this could be your problem.  Take a coat hanger or similar long wire and carefully run it up the tube to hopefully clear it.  Another worse case scenario is perhaps a mouse/mice have taken up residence.  Did you notice any droppings when you changed out your cabin filter?   Look for other evidence as well.

I have used Ozium in the air vents with success in eliminating odors.  Turn on your truck and place heater on high, spray the Ozium into the outside air vents near the windhield cowl.  Run truck for at least 10-15 minutes and spray the Ozium a good 6-8 times.  YMMV but once you have eliminated the source/cause the Ozium will rid of most of the stench.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loco-diablo said:

Are you sure an animal didn't make a nest and die under the hood?  

no - not sure right now. I've smelled dead rodents before and this doesn't really smell like that. but i am not ruling it out.

15 minutes ago, SkiBum5.0 said:

Mine drips down behind the passenger, front wheel. Inboard from the wheel by 4-6"

so, my wife came by the office today and i went outside to talk to her.... while the truck was sitting there running with the AC on... it was dripping behind the passenger front wheel like you described.

so, now i need to get underneath to make sure it is all coming from the hose and not backed up somewhere and coming from the weakest link (hole) somewhere.

I'd pull the blower motor out and look for anything inside the motor and the blower box.  If that checks out, grab a can of Lysol disinfectant spray and see if you can spray in the blower box towards the center of the dash to reach the evaporator.  Another thing to do is set the temp to cold but the AC off and fan on high and spray Lysol through the windshield cowl air inlet.  It will draw the spray in and blow it throughout the blower box, duct work, etc. 

These trucks also have HVAC Afterblow which has to be turned on by the dealer.  When you shut the truck off, afterblow will run the blower to dry out the evaporator to prevent odor and mold growth. 

• Thanks 1

Lift the edge of your carpet that tucks under your door sill.  Stick your hand in under the carpet and see if it is wet.  I was getting a  smell last year that got worse with the air circulating.  It turned out that my Shark Fin leak had gone undetected longer than I thought.  Once the leak was fixed and my carpet was dried out the smell went away.  The carpet can feel dry on the surface but saturated underneath.  

• Thanks 1