In the Market for New/Used Truck

My LBZ Duramax got stolen last week. Super upset over it, but have to move on. I am thinking I do not need a 3/4 ton diesel any longer. My rental car is a 2018 F-150 w/ the coyote. I actually like the truck alright. I thought I would be just jumping into the next chevy silverado. So I understand this is a Chevy forum, but I know there are some pretty sharp unbiased people here.

If you guys were in the market for a 1/2 ton pick up. What would you guys be leaning towards? I am even open to used trucks. I am this open b/c I was not even looking around for another truck so I feel like I am being forced to find a truck in a limited amount of time and am worried I will make a mistake. I really appreciate all you guys help on suggestions and why. Thanks guys, and if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I will get it moved.

Sorry to hear about your LBZ.  My advice is test out all 3 brands Ford, GM, Ram and go from there.  Ford for 2018-2019 will generally remain the same so you may get a great deal on a 2018.  GM will be all new for 2019 but you may not be able to wait until October/November when the trucks should be on dealer lots.  The 2018s have great pricing on them now.   2019 Ram is already on the streets and doesn't look bad at all.  The 18s also have great pricing.  Good luck with your purchase.

• Like 1

man been seeing the new ram's on the streets down here in Austin.. they look sharp~.. but i'll stick with my GMC.  .. like Lgetz said... test drive each one and go from there. .. .stay in the same package, so you see which truck offers what... .. i mean the GMC seirra SLT  comes with more options than my AT.. lol.. probably at a lower price too!.

good luck brotha.. sorry about your LBZ... .

The time is now for a 2018, as 19 is a redesign and dealers will want to move the old ones. I'd evaluate your needs  (cab config, bed size, gadgets and doodads) and start shopping around dealers in your area. Email is usually the easiest way to get total out-the-door pricing. Also check Laura GMC Buick, they list the out the door price right on the site and they are really hard to beat. I'd be shooting for 25% off MSRP regardless of trim since this is the outgoing model. Patience is the key, and don't let salesmen tell you what you need or don't need, only you can determine that. In my opinion, it isn't worth buying used right now since you can get so much cash off upfront and they hold their value really well on the used market. Good luck!

I know that I wouldn't want my truck back after if it was stolen and missing for a week but I'm impressed that your insurance company is paying out so quickly!  My salesman has called me wanting to trade-in my '15 for an '18 so I've been thinking about what i'd like better than my current truck.  A new truck of any brand would give an initial bit of excitement but the added debt would last longer than the thrill.  You had a top of the line truck and may be disappointed with following up with a 1/2 ton.  My choice would be for you to replace with the same as you lost

I would definitely suggest test driving a Chevy/GMC with the 6.2. I've had a 02 LB7 GMC and a 05 LLY Chevy (LLY was junk) I know the LBZ was a awesome motor! I was in the same boat you are in that I no longer needed a 3/4 ton diesel. I had 2014 Chevy with the 5.3 and currently have a 2014 Chevy with the 6.2 and love it. I test drove a Ford with the Eco boost and wasn't impressed, and never been a fan of the gas Dodges. 

make sure you test drive a dodge ram with the 5.7 8sp , I was a chevy owner but they have problems that gm will not address (ram has 397hp 410 lbs) will make you smile when you hit the gas  , 8sp is flawless, $10 to $15 off

Edited by gilleydog