My 15 5.3 Sierra AT surprised me today

My son had been at camp all week up near Leadville CO.  We went up this morning to pick him up.  The wife wanted to bring the kayaks an play around at Turquoise Lake for a while since we were there.  So we loaded up the kayaks and all the crap that goes with them into the truck.  The simplest route goes up I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel at a little over 11,000 feet.  The truck pulled those hills with very little effort.  I went up to the tunnel at 75 no problem, both ways.  Could have gone faster if it wasn't for a some traffic.  I filled the truck when we left this morning.  She averages 22.4 mpg for the round trip.  The only vehicle I've made that trip with in the past that did this well was my Camaro, and it wasn't loaded up.  I was impressed.  This truck is great road trip vehicle.

• Like 2

I love hearing stories like this.  There are lot more people with zero problems, than those with problems or issues with the trucks.  Glad to hear you had a safe trip and were happy with your vehicle.  I am too a very satisfied customer.  I have a 15 max tow with 146k on it now.  It has been pushed to do things it maybe shouldn't like towing or hauling heavy often but I've simply never had any issues.  Towing or cruising... This truck has been a dream!  Keep enjoying.

P. S. Those are great #s!  I average 15.5-17mpg but I'm geared with 3.73s, 6spd w/ 33" tires.

Edited by J-man67

3 hours ago, J-man67 said:

I love hearing stories like this.  There are lot more people with zero problems, than those with problems or issues with the trucks.  Glad to hear you had a safe trip and were happy with your vehicle.  I am too a very satisfied customer.  I have a 15 max tow with 146k on it now.  It has been pushed to do things it maybe shouldn't like towing or hauling heavy often but I've simply never had any issues.  Towing or cruising... This truck has been a dream!  Keep enjoying.

P. S. Those are great #s!  I average 15.5-17mpg but I'm geared with 3.73s, 6spd w/ 33" tires.

Like to put miles on her I see........

17 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

Nice!

how many miles on truck?

guessing you have 6 speed and 3:42 or 3:23 gears?

Just about 37k.  Yes, it has the 6 speed and 3.42s.  btw, the round trip was about 270 miles.  I need to read up a bit on the automatic grade braking feature.  I forgot it was there initially was doing it myself with the manual shifting mode.  Later, when it kicked in, I found it worked reasonably well.  However, I'm still not quite sure what kicks it in.  It seemed a bit hit or miss whether or not it kicked in.  Probably since I don't know how to initiate it.

Edited by Mike GMC