2018 5.3

My 015 has the tick ( to me it sounds like a old diesel injector) and has had it since new off the lot. Only time I hear it (yes it does it all the time) is when the hood is open or when idling next to a building (think drive thru). A ticking noise definitely not a knocking noise if I were you I would compare yours to a couple other 14+ trucks and go from there.

If you type silverado high pressure fuel pump noise in google there is pages and pages of articles, threads, videos, ect about this. Seems to be a byproduct of direct injection motors. 

IMO GM should have put a warning sticker starting in 14 on the drivers side visor for this saying

DON’T BE ALARMED ABNORMALLY LOUD ENGINE IDLING IS NORMAL...

• Thanks 1

My 18’ GMC Sierra z71 5.3 does the same thing. I thought for sure something was wrong at first but there are a few posts on here about it. I guess it’s normal and I won’t worry. It does sound unusual compared to previous checys I’ve owned but I guess things are changing and this is the new normal. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2018 at 3:06 PM, Hotrod99 said:

I have 2018 Silverado 5.3 4x4 when truck is idle loud knocking dealer says it the high pressure fuel pump any one else have the same knocking 

Is it loud knocking or is it ticking? These are not the same things, imo.  Find the number for gm customer support in your manual for their opinion.  They may help you to encourage your dealer to investigate your complaint a little more closely.    In the meantime,  I'd suggest  trying a higher octane fuel.  I always run mid-grade (89).