Trans Operating Temp 2010 4x4 5.3

Hey all!

I bought a 2010 Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT from a guy back in January. I have not had any problems out of it and I love the truck. However I have never had a truck with a lift kit and aftermarket rims and such. I noticed one day going up the mountains near me the trans operating temp started to exceed 200 and creep up to 211, the engine thermostat starting creeping towards 230. It cooled back down and I didn't have problems it was just a little alarming for me. I know 4x4 trans work harder and the extra steel bolted on doesn't help dissipate heat and the extra weight of the aftermarket rims doesn't help either. I did a full trans fluid flush and filter replacement and discovered the fluid was burnt and there was some small debris on the magnet, minor shavings. The day before I changed it I discovered the trans fluid was low even when trans temp was 190. I know it is Tennessee and some days I go into the parking lot leaving work and its hotter outside than inside the trans on start up.  I'm just curious if I should be worried or looking for an underlying problem? Is it normal with all the extra weight and ambient temp for the trans to run in 180+ temp range all the time ? Or should I be looking for an auxiliary cooler setup to extend the life of my truck? Thanks all!

Normal operating range for the 6L80 is 160-200 degrees.  You'll get warnings in the 260s and it will tell you to pull over at 270 or so.  Mine has the factory cooler and runs in the 150s on the highway and 170s in stop and go traffic.  If it's really hot out, 190s.  This is not towing and stock size AT tires.

The cooler won't hurt you unless it is the size of your radiator!  I've seen some guys put huge ones on lately that have made the ECT rise.

Edited by swathdiver

Okay, just curious. I know the fluid was low the day before I changed it, I checked after I got home and Trans was at 190 and it was low. And then discovering the fluid was burnt as well I didn't know if I should start worrying, or looking for extra help cooling or what. I just thought it was strange since I'm slightly in uncharted territory for myself. Plus I love this truck and intend to keep it till the chassis rusts into nothing.

1 hour ago, jstone0311 said:

Okay, just curious. I know the fluid was low the day before I changed it, I checked after I got home and Trans was at 190 and it was low. And then discovering the fluid was burnt as well I didn't know if I should start worrying, or looking for extra help cooling or what. I just thought it was strange since I'm slightly in uncharted territory for myself. Plus I love this truck and intend to keep it till the chassis rusts into nothing.

How many miles are on this truck? 

If you stay on top of your fluid changes, DexVI can handle some pretty high heat.  I've had my trans as high as 241° when towing an 8600-lb trailer in the Rockies.

I'd be more worried about the engine going towards 230° than the transmission.  Are the radiator fins clear of dirt and debris?  Is the coolant level where it needs to be?

Honestly, I never understood the whole lift thing.  Putting extra stresses on the driveline and suspension components (u-joints, bearings, brakes, etc), increasing your CV angles, making the engine and transmission work harder, reducing your towing capacity, all just for "a look?"  SMH.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, intheburbs said:

If you stay on top of your fluid changes, DexVI can handle some pretty high heat.  I've had my trans as high as 241° when towing an 8600-lb trailer in the Rockies.

I'd be more worried about the engine going towards 230° than the transmission.  Are the radiator fins clear of dirt and debris?  Is the coolant level where it needs to be?

Honestly, I never understood the whole lift thing.  Putting extra stresses on the driveline and suspension components (u-joints, bearings, brakes, etc), increasing your CV angles, making the engine and transmission work harder, reducing your towing capacity, all just for "a look?"  SMH.

Yes I've recently just flushed the coolant. Pressure washed the radiator and changed the oil. 

1 hour ago, intheburbs said:

Burbs, agree with everything you say except the engine vs. transmission temp of 230, long term 230 won't hurt a thing on the motor, eventually it will on the tranny even with Dex VI. Now when you get into catastrophically high temps like 250 and above it will show up almost immediately on the motor unless it's cooled down properly, it will take awhile to show on the tranny. Hallelujah on the lift thing, I grew up and lived most of my life in eastern wa. state where winters make 4wd almost a necessity, now that I live in SC where almost all the p/u trucks are 2wd, I see lifted 2wd's and think to myself, just 4wd wannabees.

7 hours ago, jstone0311 said:

A bit late for a first service. Nothing you could have done about that. Your transmission fluid being burned is not just a matter of heat but time as well. The hotter a lubricant runs the shorter the period of time it can tolerate it. The problem with burnt fluid is it is saying I'm already hurt. How bad? That's a bit tricky. 

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

A bit late for a first service. Nothing you could have done about that. Your transmission fluid being burned is not just a matter of heat but time as well. The hotter a lubricant runs the shorter the period of time it can tolerate it. The problem with burnt fluid is it is saying I'm already hurt. How bad? That's a bit tricky. 

I havent had any problems out of it. Aside from running a little hot. On one of the hottest days of the year it slipped one time from 3rd to 4th. But that was old fluid. Previous owner said trans filter has been changed once before already.

• Like 1