2018 GMC 3500 HD Duramax

I just purchased a 2018 GMC 3500HD with the Duramax Diesel for the motor.  I like everything about this truck except where the DEF (diesel emission fluid) box is located on the passenger side.  I don't think anyone at GM really thought this through.  Currently i don't have any running boards on it, so i sticks out like a sore thumb.  I was  wondering if anyone has moved the def box to a different location?  I would love to move it before it gets ripped off or crushed.

Go to the duramax forum, I think there is a thread on there about this. There was even a company that makes a kit to move it into the bed. Unless you're logging or jumping rocks I doubt you'll hurt it. Haven't heard of anyone yet that's tore one off.

I do agree it's kinda ugly.

This and the wide diameter tailpipe add to the charm and macho appeal of a diesel, imo.  It's all part of the support network that makes your truck the toughest and strongest in the lineup.  Don't hide it, flaunt it!

• Like 1

Cheaper option might be a aftermarket skid plate there are several different companies that make them for the dirty D. 1/4” steel plate only way your piercing that is with a bullet or crushing it...

While your here does GM still make you open the hood to fill the DEF? I always thought that was beyond dumb. I’ve seen on the Colorado the filler is in the right spot, and I’m assuming it will be with the 019 1/2 ton Silverados as well?

I'm it I'm the one in a million!!!!  I did knock a hole in my DEF tank, how I did it I have no idea!!!!  I installed an Or-fab DEF tank skid plate and have not worried about it since then.  I don't thin they are still building them but you could check.  Also I think that the later models it already has a steel plate on the bottom of the tank but not sure on this.  :jester: