Trading 2015 Dmax

Tank05

Hello, I am new to the site and wanted to get some opinions. I currently own a 2015 Chevy Dmax LT 4x4. I wanted to see what you think about trading it in and getting a 2018-2019 GMC Sierra 6.2 4x4. I bought the Dmax in hopes of getting a TT and doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen anytime soon. So the DMax just sits in the driveway. If I get the Sierra I wanted to daily drive it and if I did get a TT anytime in the  distant future would it hold up. We do go dirt bike riding and currenlty that about the only thing I tow with the truck. 

That would depend on what you’re daily driving now. I’ve always owned more than one vehicle and learned that driving them once a week will let them last a long time. I would drive the 15 periodically and keep it pay it off then buy another ride until you decide on the travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

The 6.2 has a rating of at least 7700 lbs and if equiped with Max Tow It should be around 11,700. The 6.2 has plentty of power. Get a good WD hitch if you end up with a TT. It makes a world of difference.

Just my 2 cents. I had a 2015 nht and towed a 9600 lb tt very infrequently. 6.2 dropped a valve when a valve spring broke at 69k miles. They replaced the motor because 15s still had the 100k power train warranty. I sold it with a brand new motor and bought a duramax with the same mileage. A boat load of difference towing that trailer with the d-max. I won’t ever own an afm gas engine again. Would have been pissed if I had a 16 or newer and it only had 60k mile power train!

OOPS I just saw the original post is old. Still giving my 2 cents though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

There is far more to towing than the engine and the OEM marketing ratings.  When it comes to any towing, I have become a fan of the 3/4 tons.  But I also have no need for the Dmax, so I am very happy with the 6.0L.  And the new 6.6L gasser arriving in the 2020 model year 3/4 and 1 tons will make things far easier of a decision for many people.  The 6.2 will have no edge on the power game anymore.  The 6.6 offers substantial power and torque over the current 6.0 and will do so on regular gasoline unlike the 6.2 needing premium to reach its full potential.   And the standard beefier chassis, suspension, brakes, etc of a 3/4 ton really makes the difference in towing compared to even the most loaded 1/2 ton.   

And my 2015 2500 6.0 is flex fuel.  Even with the lousy fuel economy of E85, the price of E85 is almost half that of premium and a higher octane rating so that even with the lower fuel economy I get from E85, I still have a lower cost per mile for fuel than many 6.2L 1/2 tons using premium.

I made the foray into the 1/2 ton camp in 2013.  I was inventing new swear words almost daily.   I went back to the 3/4 ton in 2015 and am much happier.   I really don't tow that much, but still will never leave the 3/4 camp again.  I do haul frequently, and I can haul far more than any 1/2 ton any day of the week.   5-6  55 gallon drums of oil in the back end of a 1/2 ton is not a pretty sight.  In my 2500, it looks like it was made for it, which it was.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1