Steering Stabilizer

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to add a steering stabilizer to my 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD L5P 4WD, unfortunately GM has decided to eliminate one on this year model.  Who has a added a stabilizer to their newer 2500HD?  I have found two manufacturers that currently make a retrofit kit, Fabtech and BDS, is there any other manufacturer that anybody is utilizing?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

I have the BDS unit on my 2017.  The trucks built after sometime in 2015 no longer have chassis brackets for the shock anymore.  You have to pull one bolt on the drivers lower control arm to add the bracket but that's the worst of it.  

Yes I like it and it improved the feel of the front of the truck with bigger tires and being leveled.

Edited by SierraHD17

2 hours ago, Seapacer2 said:

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to add a steering stabilizer to my 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD L5P 4WD, unfortunately GM has decided to eliminate one on this year model.  Who has a added a stabilizer to their newer 2500HD?  I have found two manufacturers that currently make a retrofit kit, Fabtech and BDS, is there any other manufacturer that anybody is utilizing?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

It's been eliminated since 2011 due to the redesign of the front end components and steering components. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

It's been eliminated since 2011 due to the redesign of the front end components and steering components. 

The brackets have remained present on the frames until part way of the 2015 model year.  It was not eliminated in 2011.

Edited by SierraHD17

2 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

The brackets have remained present on the frames until part way of the 2015 model year.  It was not eliminated in 2011.

Brackets were there, the stabilizer was not.  GM eliminated the stabilizer in 2011 from the factory.  

#PIT5052F: Steering Wheel Vibration Or Customers Looking To Add Steering Stabilizer - (Jun 14, 2016)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Steering wheel vibration or customers looking to add steering stabilizer for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra HD 2500/3500 models.

Note: On 2011 trucks with a vibrations felt in the steering wheel, follow published SI diagnostics. The latest version of PI0650 may be helpful in diagnosing this condition. 

Recommendation/Instructions

The 2500/3500 HD trucks are not built with a steering stabilizer. 

A steering stabilizer is listed in the parts catalog group 6.865 (steering linkage shock absorber) and is available, but is not intended to address vibrations or brake pulsations.

This part can be added, but is not intended to be used for a warranty repair.

Additional information: The 2500/3500 HD's are specifically built without a Steering Dampener Shock.

The explanation below can be used to give a more detailed description of how the 2500/3500 HD steering system functions, with respect to road input.

Steering damper's predominate influence is on large heavy impacts encountered during more extreme off road events.

For smaller chatter/bump surfaces, the steering damper does not see high enough rod velocity to generate resistance force. 

For these situations, there is more mounting bushing compression than anything else.

The 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear system features the same knuckle steering arm to pitman arm length ratio as the previous (2010 and older) HD model, but the steering gear piston diameter is larger and capable of higher pressure, which creates more viscous damping in the 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear than the previous (2010 and older) HD model steering gears.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Regardless it was not eliminated as that would mean like my 2017 and 2018 of the OP they have no brackets... the trucks still have the brackets through 2015 like I stated and anyone can bolt on a dampener including the dealer as per the tsb.  Unlike the late 2015s and newer that require brackets as well as a dampener.  The strength and requirement thing is a joke lol.

Edited by SierraHD17

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, Seapacer2 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a 2016 GMC 3500HD with 37" Toyo's. I was wanting a stabilizer as well. I found this bracket that mounts to the crossmember and you attach one end of the stabilizer to it and the other is inserted into the steering control arm. Very simple to do and can be done in about 1 hour. Made a big difference in my truck. Hope this helps.

https://www.suspensionmaxx.com/store/product/SMX-SSB25

• 4 weeks later...

I added the Bilstein damper to my 15. It was bolt on for me.
Really helped with larger potholes and rough roads. 
My steering wheel does not "jerk" or "dance" when hitting large rough sections of road any more. 
It tracks better when hitting potholes now as well.

Over all I think it was worth the money and the 20 min it took to bolt it on. 

It does next to nothing for smaller hits. So don't expect a night and day difference. 
But it does help a lot with bigger hits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Put on a BDS bracket and stabilizer on 2 trucks now, they work well. Bolt on bracket is easy to mount, the shock seems firm enough to lessen the jolt felt through the steering wheel, but doesn't hamper steering feel. Now that the bracket is there, I can mount what ever brand steering stabilizer shock I want in the future.