2014 Sierra Won't Start

I went to drive the truck yesterday and when I twisted the key the dash lit up then everything died.  I have been getting a service theft system and trailer brake system teh past few weeks and thought maybe it was the theft system causing it not to start. So I left and came back a few hours later.  Checked the battery and it was 12.6v so I knew it was good.  I was really frustrated at this point and once again left it for a while.  After doing some reading I saw where people were saying that it could be the ground cable.  So reluctantly I went and checked it thinking that the fix couldn't be that simple.  It was.  As soon as I touched the cable I heard it arc and then I was able to unlock and lock with the key fob. So power was restored. 

Now onto my question.  I know I can replace the entire cable but as an alternative solution could I just put a new terminal on it?  Just an aftermarket terminal and a new battery terminal.  Also this is for the ground.  Not the power.  I know physically it will work and as long as it gets a good connection then electrically it will work as well.  My only concern is how finicky these trucks are with all their electronics. 

If the terminal thing is a no go then where is the cheapest place to get a cable?

My guess, having been through this on two separate GM trucks, is that the problem is either on the engine/body ground side, or the middle of the ground cable, and not at the battery terminal end. But if you replace it and it works, let us all know.

Good luck. I found an OEM cable on EBay for the cheapest, but your mileage may very.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 2:00 PM, Stric_IX said:

I went to drive the truck yesterday and when I twisted the key the dash lit up then everything died.  I have been getting a service theft system and trailer brake system teh past few weeks and thought maybe it was the theft system causing it not to start. So I left and came back a few hours later.  Checked the battery and it was 12.6v so I knew it was good.  I was really frustrated at this point and once again left it for a while.  After doing some reading I saw where people were saying that it could be the ground cable.  So reluctantly I went and checked it thinking that the fix couldn't be that simple.  It was.  As soon as I touched the cable I heard it arc and then I was able to unlock and lock with the key fob. So power was restored. 

Now onto my question.  I know I can replace the entire cable but as an alternative solution could I just put a new terminal on it?  Just an aftermarket terminal and a new battery terminal.  Also this is for the ground.  Not the power.  I know physically it will work and as long as it gets a good connection then electrically it will work as well.  My only concern is how finicky these trucks are with all their electronics. 

If the terminal thing is a no go then where is the cheapest place to get a cable?

Hi, Whit. I hope you’re able to get your Sierra back in running order. If this problem still persists, and you’re considering visiting your servicing GM dealership, we would be happy to work alongside them, to determine the root cause. Thanks!  

Anthony J.

So I ended up taking it in to the dealer since I had an extended warranty and a few other non related issues that needed to be repaired (multiple warnings on the dash, park sensors, trailer brake, etc.).  They called me and told me that the negative battery cable wouldn't tighten down on the post enough.  Their reason was because it was a non oem battery and sometimes the cables won't fit the posts on aftermarket batteries.  The battery itself is good voltage wise but they want to sell me an oem battery to fix this loose connection.  I'm almost certain there is a problem with the cable itself.  Does it sound legitimate or an attempt to sell me a battery?

8 minutes ago, Stric_IX said:

So I ended up taking it in to the dealer since I had an extended warranty and a few other non related issues that needed to be repaired (multiple warnings on the dash, park sensors, trailer brake, etc.).  They called me and told me that the negative battery cable wouldn't tighten down on the post enough.  Their reason was because it was a non oem battery and sometimes the cables won't fit the posts on aftermarket batteries.  The battery itself is good voltage wise but they want to sell me an oem battery to fix this loose connection.  I'm almost certain there is a problem with the cable itself.  Does it sound legitimate or an attempt to sell me a battery?

If that is the case you could always pick up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0843PT-Universal-Battery-Package/dp/B001QRTXCM?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2