Towing Question

I'm not typically a big truck person but I do have an old 1997 Chevy 2500HD diesel that I use to pull an enclosed car trailer. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new truck and I am thinking of replacing the 2500 with a new Colorado diesel 4x4. Looking at the specifications that I can find, it seems like these are comparable platforms. Could someone else please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

1997 Chevy 2500 V-8 Diesel Specs
MPG: 15 city / 18 highway
Horsepower: 180 hp @ 3,400 rpm
Torque: 385 ft-lbf @ 1,800 rpm
Towing capacity: 6,500 lbs
Engine: 6.5 L V8 diesel
Curb weight: 4,299 lbs
Payload: 2,901 lbs
Dimensions: 213″ L x 77″ W x 71-76″ H

2019 Chevy Colorado Turbo 4 Diesel Specs
MPG: 20 city / 30 highway
Horsepower: 181 hp @ 3,400 rpm
Torque: 369 ft-lbf @ 2,000 rpm
Towing capacity: 6,700 lbs
Engine: 2.8 L 4-cylinder diesel
Curb weight: 4,030 lbs
Dimensions: 212-225″ L x 74-77″ W x 71-72″ H

I guess one thing I am trying to figure out is how a little four cylinder diesel can keep up with a V-8. I know that technology has changed a lot in 20 years, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not typically a big truck person but I do have an old 1997 Chevy 2500HD diesel that I use to pull an enclosed car trailer. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new truck and I am thinking of replacing the 2500 with a new Colorado diesel 4x4. Looking at the specifications that I can find, it seems like these are comparable platforms. Could someone else please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

1997 Chevy 2500 V-8 Diesel Specs
MPG: 15 city / 18 highway
Horsepower: 180 hp @ 3,400 rpm
Torque: 385 ft-lbf @ 1,800 rpm
Towing capacity: 6,500 lbs
Engine: 6.5 L V8 diesel
Curb weight: 4,299 lbs
Payload: 2,901 lbs
Dimensions: 213″ L x 77″ W x 71-76″ H

2019 Chevy Colorado Turbo 4 Diesel Specs
MPG: 20 city / 30 highway
Horsepower: 181 hp @ 3,400 rpm
Torque: 369 ft-lbf @ 2,000 rpm
Towing capacity: 6,700 lbs
Engine: 2.8 L 4-cylinder diesel
Curb weight: 4,030 lbs
Dimensions: 212-225″ L x 74-77″ W x 71-72″ H

I guess one thing I am trying to figure out is how a little four cylinder diesel can keep up with a V-8. I know that technology has changed a lot in 20 years, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There is more to a truck than just the engine... Please look at the GVW and towing capacity.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is more to a truck than just the engine... Please look at the GVW and towing capacity.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That is exactly why I am confused. They have very similar vehicle weights and towing capacities as quoted above from both specification pages.

I’ve got a canyon with the 2.8 l duramax. I pull a 4000# boat no problem. The big thing you’ll notice coming from a 2500 is brakes. The 2500 has big heavy duty brakes. The canyon stops a lot longer.

FYI the 2019 1500 is supposed to have a 3 litter duramax. Depending on your car trailer weight, that might be a better choice. Check the tongue weight. I think the canyon is 600#.

You won’t have the heavy springs you have on the 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a canyon with the 2.8 l duramax. I pull a 4000# boat no problem. The big thing you’ll notice coming from a 2500 is brakes. The 2500 has big heavy duty brakes. The canyon stops a lot longer.

FYI the 2019 1500 is supposed to have a 3 litter duramax. Depending on your car trailer weight, that might be a better choice. Check the tongue weight. I think the canyon is 600#.

You won’t have the heavy springs you have on the 2500.

This is more the type of feedback I was looking for. I'm not in a rush necesarily, more in the planning stages. With as old as my 2500 is, I'm guessing the Canyon will probably have better brakes anyway, haha.

Honestly though, I don't pull the trailer often; only about 10 to 15 race weekends a year. My wife and I have considered getting a small camper as well though. Do you think the Canyon would handle something like that? Maybe a Streamline or something similar.

Yes. I think it would pull it fine. My boat is 9.5’ wide and 8.5’ tall, so it has a lot of surface area. The 2.8 pulls it nicely. In Canada heading up for a week if fishing, 4 men and gear, it took an 8% grade to make it downshift. It’s a really torquey truck. My father in law has the 95 version of your truck.

When I retire, I’ll get a 2500 or 3500.

Lol. My 24yr old has an 07 top kick with the 6.6l duramax. That was an eye opener for a young man. Commercial class vehicles are harder to insure and harder to get parts for.

My neighbors 25’ Airstream goes 7500#. He pulls with a full size gas truck. Wishes it had extending mirrors so he could see when backing it in. The canyon would be harder being narrower and 7500 is over the GWVR.

It's crazy, but new trucks are better at towing. I updated my 93 GMC 2500 to an 08 1500 with the 5.3 and it will tow circles are the 2500. 2500 had bigger engine, taller gears and the new truck has lower gear and smaller engine, works better. Best I can recommend is a test drive.

I pulled my 34ft RC with both and the you would not believe how much of a difference it made.

A long time ford truck guy switched to Chevys after borrowing my 1500 5.3 Silverado to go retrieve is boat when his 150 blew its tranny. He could not believe how much better behaved it was. That said, his Ford was 90’s vintage and vs the new at the time Silverado. What won him over beyond on road performance was the maintenance schedules.