Aftermarket rear bumpers

On 3/4/2019 at 4:58 AM, Donstar said:

Woops. Missed that.   I haven't used custom bumpers for many years but do know there is a wide variety of pricing .  Looks like you found a good deal on a very nice bumper!  Another suggestion for those still looking for a custom bumper is to find an independent fabricator in your local "want ads".   Some work from home or do side work for extra cash.  Fabricators I have known usually have enough personal equipment at home to fabricate a step bumper!

If you can find a fabricator that will say that he will make you a one off piece for the same price that you can find a production item I would be very scared to purchase anything from that fabricator. I would venture to say that you will almost never find a good fabricator (speaking from my personal experience being a custom fabricator and custom vehicle builder) that would even attempt to meet a production price. As Rastasquid said (btw The rear bumper looks killer my friend very clean and well put together by the looks of it) he paid $1100 shipped, I wouldn’t even consider making that bumper for $1100. All the R&D has already been done with these and that time is included in that bumper price. These bumpers are built in jigs and only take a couple hours to fabricate from start to finish due to having all the components pre-plasma cut and numbered. A handmade one off bumper you would have hours and hours just in creating the design and acquiring the measurements & angles for the design and then hopefully you have your own plasma table or work closely with a machine shop that would have those components cut and then you would start on your simple jig (as opposed to a multiple component fabrication jig which would be much more heavy duty) for fabrication to keep everything aligned and held in place through the entire welding process. Just my two cents but also trying to keep an eye out for everybody, there are a lot of guys that go to “fabricators” that offer deals and cheap prices and end up getting things that could possibly put someone’s life in danger when their parts fail.

Edited by CovetedStyle

6 hours ago, CovetedStyle said:

If you can find a fabricator that will say that he will make you a one off piece for the same price that you can find a production item I would be very scared to purchase anything 

I agree that an independent fabricator copying a production line bumper would probably not result in a cost saving.  The bumper that Op purchased is outstanding in looks, fit and finish. .  If I used my truck in a manner that a heavy duty bumper was practical, my requirements would involve a far less intricate design.  There was a time when I did benefit from aftermarket bumpers on my pickups and had them custom made.  They were more basic in design but were built to fit and compliment my specific truck. They were very solid, nicely finished, looked good and were built without the benefit of a plasma cutter. ?   

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, sonerick said:

I like the Rough Country rear bumper the most so far, it retains the corner steps, integrates the stock backup sensors, and works with the factory tow hitch.  Plus it adds a couple of lights.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-country-rear-led-bumper-chevrolet-silverado-1500-2016-2018/p/10773/?year=2018&gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qxDhUodpI42VkGOiFhS98nOh8XizssiDU6PhQYJ4QfJo98BYSKjo0xoC9WIQAvD_BwE

Digging up an old thread. A car was pushed into me and messed up the rear bumper. Got the quote from their claims and thinking about just going aftermarket myself. I'm gonna talk to them tomorrow and see what my options are